Thursday, January 10, 2008

Drinking is the new eating.

When it comes to vegetables, I will fully admit I turn into a 6 yr old. I just don't like them. There are a few I can tolerate raw but I find nearly any veggie cooked competely distasteful and therefore just don't eat them. There are a few even (broccoli and beets mainly) that as soon as they enter my mouth I start gaging (I learned recently after an incident with the horse pills they call prenatal vitamins that gagging and being pregnant is a bad combination for me. Yep, I had to take a second pill that night). I now understand that my picky eating is actually caused by the fact that I have more taste buds on my tongue than most people. This means I have a hard time with most bitter foods (black coffee, wine, dark chocolate etc.), but that just helps me justify not eating them. When it was just me I was worrying about I shruged off the guilt of not eating right, but now I have to worry about somebody elses health being effected my eating habits. Generally, I've been attempting to take in veggies by eating salads (with unhealthy amounts of dressing to mask the flavor) but how many salads can one person eat?? So I've found a new solution. I read about a study that had mothers in their second tri-mester drink carrot juice every day for a week. They found that the infants of these mothers when they started eating solid foods had more positive reactions to carrots than those babies in the control group (whose mothers drank water). That's when I decided to borrow my parents juicer and try out this juice drinking thing for myself. Last night with our dinner Sean and I each had a glass of carrot apple juice. I have to say it was really GOOD, Sean even found it too sweet for him. The 'Juiceman' even says that drinking vegetables is actually preferable to eating them because our bodies have a hard time processing the whole food and the juice contains all the best parts without the 'heavy lifting'. So I'm a total convert, I can get the important vitamins and minerals from the veggies and never have to taste them. I have a feeling though that if I'm not tasting the veggies in the juice, baby isn't tasting them either so I'm probably not going to get a vegetable lover out of this deal, but oh well at least I'm trying.

I must admit juicing is not a simple process and could get expensive since it is best to use organic fruits and veggies whenever possible. Cleaning the machine is a good 15 min task and cleaning and prepping the veggies is another 15 mins. It doesn't look like I'll be enjoying fresh orange juice in the mornings, but a nice vegetable juice at dinner seems completely doable. Tonight I'm going to add some broccoli to the carrot apple and see if I can still drink it. I'm excited. PLUS I can save the carrot pulp and make some nice breads and cakes (yeah, in my head I've got tons of free time). Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

hmm... I wonder if that would work for my veggie-hating husband... :)

Michelle :)


...at this rate, our little guy's gonna LOVE lemons and cranberries... and that's about it!

Becky said...

Could be worse.. he could like pickles and ice cream!! ha ha ha

Kristy said...

you can add veggie purees to your food like Jessica Seinfeld...

Kristeen said...

I'm wholly supportive, and I'm truly wishing you luck... but as a fellow veggie hater, I'm also literally holding back a gag at the thought of juicing broccoli. Ugh.

Tiffiny said...

Please tell me you refrained from adding the broccoli to your apple/carrot mix! The apple/carrot does sound really really good. You might also want to check out the mixes V8 puts together of fruit and vegetables. They're really good too - all the great taste and none of the work. Plus, you can get jugs of it so it works out to be very cost effective. Good luck! (I'm not a fan of most veggies either so I feel your pain)

Tara said...

I thought you liked brocolli- superfood? I honestly don't understand what is so bad out veggies I love them- jsut add butter it makes everything taste great or raw with veggie dip! Anyhow good luck with it. I used to have a big problem swallowing pills especially "horse" vitamins - It gets better- especially if you put a sip of water in your mouth first. There are also vitamin candies too! Calcium, Iron and obviously folic acid are the most important content of the prenatal vitamins- which you should be able to find the equivalent dosing in some of the flinstone ones

Tara said...

I thought you liked brocolli- superfood? I honestly don't understand what is so bad out veggies I love them- jsut add butter it makes everything taste great or raw with veggie dip! Anyhow good luck with it. I used to have a big problem swallowing pills especially "horse" vitamins - It gets better- especially if you put a sip of water in your mouth first. There are also vitamin candies too! Calcium, Iron and obviously folic acid are the most important content of the prenatal vitamins- which you should be able to find the equivalent dosing in some of the flinstone ones

me again said...

oops typo with the broccoli- sorry don't know why there are two I am sure you can delete it