Thursday, February 28, 2008

Things are getting real!

So last night I had two big 'this is real' moments. The first came while I was shopping at Baby's R Us for the multitude of baby showers I'll be going to in upcoming weeks. After I finished my registry hunting (my Baby's R Us is NOT very user friendly), I went and decided it was about time to make the first purchase for my own little one. It was a bit of a shock to stand there in the clothing isles and realize I was not purchasing for someone else, that I would have MY OWN baby to dress in the clothes I was picking out. It was all I could do not to cry right there in the store. Sean wasn't with me because he was studying but I can assure you he did not have the same kind of moment I did when I showed him what I bought. Instead he told me he didn't like one of the outfits I picked out. Oh husband!

The other big moment came hours later while I was hiding out in the bedroom to allow Sean to finish studying. For the first time the baby kicked repeatedly! I got kicked (or headbutted probably) once before but it wasn't a repetitive action so I never got to really concentrate on it. Last night I got three solid kicks, which stopped as soon as I called in Sean, and then returned for two more blasts that again stopped as soon as I made noise. Poor Sean just wasn't in the right place at the right time.

I'm sure things will rapidly start getting more and more real as we near the finish line and do all the nursery prep but this was certainly the most real it has been so far.

For those who have kids or are pregnant, when did it first start getting real for you?

1 comment:

Michelle :) said...

It got "real" for me a couple times... I still haven't purchased any clothes for my little guy, but when we painted his room, it was one of those moments... then when Adam set up all the furniture... and now, getting down to my "once every two weeks" appointments, it's VERY real. It could happen at any time now! :)