Friday, March 14, 2008

How do you feel today?

I've heard that pregnant women get sick of answering this question, but I must like to talk about myself because so far it hasn't bothered me at all. I feel like my answer is always pretty mundane but I'm going to attempt to elaborate a little bit here for those people who are dying to know what it feels like to be 22 weeks pregnant. I'll start out by saying for the most part I feel great, as I get specific into the things that ail me you may no longer think that's the case but its true. So.. here we go
Sleeping is becoming more and more difficult as I get bigger and bigger. I don't stay comfortable for long in any one position, but the act of moving wakes me up so I'm up many many times during the night. In general I've always been a light sleeper so I'm fairly used to being up 2x a night but now its more like 8 or 9. On Tuesday night I slept straight from 11 to 4 which is the longest stretch I've had in a few weeks. The act of moving when you've been in one position for a few hours is difficult. It feels as if the baby is resisting my attempts to get comfortable because it almost feels like I'm detaching Velcro inside my belly, uncomfortable enough to make a little grunting noise but not enough to gasp or anything like that.
If you've been around me at all you'll know that my coccyx (or tail bone as most people call it, but coccyx is fun to say) bothers me when I try to stand up from a sitting position or bend at the waist while holding something heavy. It is related to the baby's position so it comes and goes but it's there and it's uncomfortable.
My nose has felt stuffed since about week 12. There is a scientific term for this but I don't remember what it is, but the lining of your nose swells up a little because of the increased blood flow. So not only do I feel stuffed but I also get nose bleeds 2-3 times a week. This probably also has to do with the fact that my apartment is drier than the dessert in summer, but the pregnancy blood flow doesn't help.
The water retention has started! Oh so fun. Mostly it's only noticeable on days that I teach so I'm spending a couple hours standing and by the time I get back to my desk I'm a little swollen about the ankles. This, I'm sure, will get worse.
My feet hurt when I get home. My feet generally only hurt if we've had people visiting and have done the walking tour of Manhattan. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the extra 25+lbs I'm carrying so this will probably also get worse!
Getting up and walking around happens slower these days than it used to and walking up stairs to the subway definitely makes me winded. (Subway rides are for another blog).

But I swear I'm not really complaining I actually feel pretty good about the whole thing. I won't tell you I 'love' being pregnant, but I like it. Its cool to feel the baby move (again that will be another blog)

Upcoming Bloggin topics: Names and why we don't have any picked out. Cribs and Crib mattresses, is organic worth the money?

2 comments:

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

Just wait until the baby is bigger and not only do you wake up to roll over but to go to the bathroom 20 times a night. It seems all three of mine nestled against my bladder and never move. Could also be that I just have large babies and they ran out of room! But it is a great way to prepare you for the night time feedings, which really never bothered me.

Nancy said...

I loved it when I was about 7 months pregnant with Dan and he would move and sit on a nerve that would basically "numb" my left leg. This usually would happen when I was carrying Kristeen and I would literally have to drag my leg and try and stay upright. Kristeen would love to throw her bottle down on the ground at this point and say "baba!" That's when the REAL balancing act started! Those were the great years and I would not change one second of any of it!