Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Chemicals in Cosmetics follow up.

As I sit at my computer allowing MATLAB to chug through some of my data (resetting occasionally to give it a new file) I've been reading through some of my favorite green blogs. I added a few to the side bar if you are interested.. But I found this article

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/122/dirtydozen

The green guide is a new publication by National Geographic.. so now you don't have to simply take my word for it that these chemicals are dangerous. This article outlines the 12 most dangerous things currently found in cosmetics. They even provide a link to a wallet card so you can carry this info with you and make smart decisions in the store.

I also want to comment on a critique I got through email. A friend of mine commented that cancer rates increasing can be due to the fact that we are living longer and longer these day. I agree whole heartedly with this and will add to that the fact that we have more and better ways to diagnose cancer now which causes the rate to appear to increase when it may not be. I am not trying to imply that cosmetics are the sole cause of increased cancer rates. My point is simply that they could be playing a role. Cancer is not the only thing we have to worry about, it just happens to be more understandable than some of the other concerns. If I wrote down everything I had to say on this topic the post would be 10 pages long.

That's all for today, I'm still at school and its 8:00, I only have a few more files then I'm going to finally go home and put my swollen feet up. Ahh the life of a pregnant graduate student. I promise Jen I'll elaborate on this soon. I know you want more 'in science' than 'in grad school' but I'll do the best I can.

2 comments:

Sneks said...

At school until 8pm! You're crazy!

And your comments as a pregnant grad student would be just as valuable as your comments on being a pregnant scientist! I am just loving your blog and would love to hear what you have to say about this crazy life we lead!

Also, I have gotten my best friend Kim addicted to your blog too! She is having a baby the exact same time as you guys! Thanks for all the free advice!

Holly said...

You are completely correct that these chemicals pose many more hazards than cancer. As the article you posted points out, these chemicals can cause hormone disruption, respiratory problems, immune system suppression, neurological problems, etc.

It is important to know what we are slathering all over our bodies - especially when we have a baby inside of it!