Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pregnancy annoyances...

There were a few things I prepared to be annoyed by during this pregnancy but so far, I'm not annoyed.

1) People asking me how I feel.
So far this question doesn't annoy me at all. Maybe it is because more often than not the question gets phrased as "How are you?" which is a question I get asked a few times a day normally as I see different people throughout the day. Maybe I'm too simple to realize that people are asking me because I'm pregnant and want to know how I am, and they aren't just being polite. Or maybe people just don't ask me that often!! Either way, so far I don't mind answering the question.

2) Belly rubs.
I've been told that random strangers in the grocery store will approach me and rub my stomach like I'm a good luck charm. So far I think I could count on one hand the number of non-family members who have touched my stomach and even those are people I know and have no problem having them touch me. Not one single stranger has even tried to touch my stomach.. I almost feel left out.

3)People doing things for me.
For the most part people are accommodating and helpful but it's not like every time I turn around people are doing things for me. Sean doesn't like me to climb on things, but I'm still expected to do my normal chores like putting away the clean dishes and folding the laundry. That isn't to say he doesn't offer to carry the laundry down to the laundry room for me, but most of the time I push it in a cart so I don't need help. I genuinely appreciate that, so far, people aren't pampering me or treating me like I have a disability. I ask for help when I need it and no one complains when I do.

There is one thing that does annoy me more than anything else. People on the 7 train do not readily give up their seat for pregnant women. Not just me, I've been watching this since we moved and people will appallingly look the other way when a pregnant woman gets on the train! I will fully admit that this train line is one of the longest and giving up your seat means you'll be standing for a while. However, people should not feel entitled to their seat. No matter what your age or condition, there is always someone on this packed train that needs your seat more than you do. GET UP! Okay I feel better now.

3 comments:

Tiffiny said...

Wow, I would be pissed about the train thing too. Knowing me, I would probably shove my stomach in the person's face, waiting for them to stand. "Oh, I'm sorry, is my massive stomach suffocating you? Maybe you should move so you can breathe better. Here, you can have my standing spot." But, that's just me. :o)

Kristy said...

I hated it when people would complain that their feet or back hurt around me. They didn't get any sympathy from me!

Elaine and Brandon said...

I am surprised you didn't add your earlier comment about how people were staring you down for having a decaf iced coffee thinking it had caffeine.

I think I agree with your friend Tiffany's comment....