Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Social Commentary

Quick post because I should be analyzing data, but this struck me as funny this morning so I have to share.
I am now obviously pregnant in almost everything I wear, and people notice quite frequently. Walking the halls people tend to look to the belly first, then up to the face, then smile. Wait, when I said people I really mean women, men don't tend to notice as much for whatever reason. So I've gotten used to this and try to smile back instead of just looking simple and confused. Normally I have to monitor the surface in front of me so as not to trip (years of dance lessons but still no grace) but in the halls I'm able to look up at people.
That said, this morning I gave in to the decaff iced coffee cravings I've been having and picked one up on my walk to school. This time of year as the weather gets nice (we have a high of 68 today!!!) iced coffee is a typical staple for me I just love it, but its more the cream and sugar than the caffeine apparently because switching to decaff works just as well. Anyway, I'm walking up the sidewalk with my decaff iced coffee and I notice the smiles I usually get have been replaced by looks of horror. Holy judgmental people (oops again just women)!!! Now they spot the belly and on their way up to the face spot the iced coffee and eyes go wide with fright. Wow, I guess I will have to enjoy my little indulgence in the safety of my own home and not in view of the judgmental public. Whoa baby!

Side note: Someone asked me how I knew it was decaff and I was very surprised by this. Decaff tastes totally different (and not as good, but slightly masked by copious amounts of cream). Please tell me normal tasters are able to tell the difference too and this isn't just my crazy taste buds.

5 comments:

Sneks said...

Becky -- I comment here because you mentioned analyzing data ...

Perhaps no one else is interested in it or you don't want to talk about it, but I was curious about your stance on how the pregnancy is affecting you as a "woman in science". Was it an easy decision to have a baby with all of the PhD work you have? Do people treat you differently at work? Is the baby altering your academic plans?

As a fellow "woman scientist" that eventually wants a family(and who totally admires you), I'm just curious what you think!

AbbeM said...

I had the same thing happen with a bottle of root beer. People get SOOO judgmental when they see that you're pregnant! And at my friend's wedding, I had a sip of champagne during the toasts, and you would've thought I'd gotten drunk the way some people were staring. I was in my seventh month - a sip of champagne won't hurt anyone. Unfortunately, people are just that way - but you know you're doing things right, so that's really all that matters. :)

Elaine said...

I would never look at someone who was pregnant and drinking a "could be" caffeine drink and scowl. I would think it was caffeine free or that this is their one treat and none of my business. I am sorry that people treated you that way, but I know that you know you are doing everything right and should not be ashamed for drinking a yummy drink. Maybe you will have to invest in a cup to disguise your treat.

Becky said...

Good question Jen!! I will definately add that topic to the list so I remember to write about it. I don't know if I have anything to say that would be helpful but I'll tell you what I think.

Elaine and Brandon said...

to respond to "sneks" comments. I was also wondering how you are beginning to figure out how to manage school and a baby in the fall. I am assuming your schedule is not always consistent and just wondering how flexible your school schedule will be. Also, wondering if you have looked into daycares and things you have found helpful and things that turned you off. As a former daycare worker I am interested to hear your comments.