Tuesday, May 27, 2008

33 weeks pregnant and oh so tired

What does it feel like to be me 33 weeks pregnant? Exhausting! Seriously, the lack sleep thing is starting to add up. I had a wonderful baby shower at my moms on Saturday (there is another one in two weeks for the other half of the family).I traveled there by train and ended up having to fly back (even though I'm not supposed to fly after 32 weeks) because the train was sold out. I had a very nice weekend but it really wore me out. I took two naps yesterday and still feel asleep around 10pm. Although the sleep the followed was pretty spotty.
Here's the biggest problem, I have a HUGE BELLY! I'm not supposed to sleep on my back because the weight of the uterus supposedly cuts off blood supply.  Obviously sleeping on my stomach is out of the question. It seems like sleeping on your side while pregnant should be comfortable but it's just not. To get my belly to touch the bed I have to twist a little further over causing either odd pressure on my shoulder or a twisty uncomfortable spine. I've tried to add a pillow to support the belly but it is even more uncomfortable (mainly because the pillow is probably too big). To make it worse the baby is the most active while I'm laying on my side so the constant pokes and jabs make it even harder to sleep.
Poor Sean, he is normally a very solid sleeper but my constant rolling wakes him up and I feel terrible about it. I suggested sleeping separately but he won't even hear of it. He asked me this morning why I had so much trouble sleeping last night. I just laughed and said it probably had something to do with the ~30lbs I'm carrying just in the belly (not to be confused with the nearly 50 I've put on to date). To which he replies 'oh, so that's not going to get better is it'. Sorry babe, it is only going to get worse before it gets better, and 'getting better' isn't likely to occur until 3months after the baby is born.

I cursed myself on Saturday at the shower because I kept telling people my back wasn't really bothering me at all. Guess what is bothering me now!!! Oh brother.

Updated to add: For some reason this post gets more hits than any other on my blog, so if you navigated here from a google search feel free to leave a comment about how exhausted you are at 33 weeks pregnant (which is likely the search terms you were using). Apparently it is a common condition! Plus, I love random comments from strangers!

20 comments:

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

Just think about it this way, the bigger you get the closer you get, the best thing is being able to feel the baby move(remember when you couldn't feel the baby and you just hoped all was okay)! This is also the way you prepare for night time feedings! You won't feel as bad getting up in the middle of the night because you are use to it. The minute you can sleep on your belly it will get better, and it happens quick. You are getting close hang in there!!!!!

Kristeen said...

I think that the current lack of sleep is just the baby's way of training you for the lack of sleep you'll experience once you're a bump-less mommy with a hungry infant. He pokes you to say "Uh, mom? Let's practice for when I come meet you. WAKE UP!"

Erica said...

What about that big long pillow thing that I always see pregnant ladies curled up into? I am certainly not knowledgable about these things, but have you looked into it? It was good to see you this weekend :-)

εξωσωματική γονιμοποίηση στην Ελλάδα said...

Hi

I think pragnants will have to care about this matter and and I think the main cause of this matter is lake of sleeping.

Anonymous said...

OMG i know exactly how you feel..

I've been so tired lately altho i'm marvel at the idea that you still travel so much and see ppl..all i do all day is wash dishes and prepare dinner!

the rest of the time i try to keep myself busy over the net or tv..i try to sit up but it just makes my bak worse..


I've tried everything as well..all the pillows and the stupid spine twisting positions to get comfortable what makes it worse is having to go to the washroom so many times too.. just going there and heading back seems to wake me up and lose all my sleepiness!

I've also been having this stiff uterus thing..which is dashed uncomfy!.. its not painful but its so uncomfortable it makes me wanna cry..and it doesn't go away right away either *sniffs*

tho my husband seems to think i'm enjoying pregnancy more than he has every seen any pregnant women do.. i do love my baby..its our first and i've always wanted to be a mom.. i guess its good that it'll all be done with soon..

well atleast the being pregnant and huge belly part LoL

Anonymous said...

Exactly as you said, searching "33 weeks pregnant very tired" Oi, something really shifted this week. Walking up the stairs and out of breath. Lifting my bag of groceries feels like a herculean feat.

will also be so grateful to once again have sleeping positions other than my side. I bought a big U shaped pregnancy pillow and it has been a life saver. Props the belly and can fit between the legs! I sleep alright except for the every two hours peeing.

Anonymous said...

I also search 33 weeks pregnant and tired. Well that describes it. I'm also super cranky and go between clingy w/ my husband and wanting to be all alone. Today I am hiding out at home and hoping that will improve things.

Sasa Senker said...

this post is great, i had feeling like i was writing it - specially the part for sleeping issues.
:)

isla said...

Totally agree this tiredness has just creeped up in the past week. I've been feeling guilty about partner coming home from work and I've not had much energy to do anything around the house-let alone bother putting make up on!! This post has made me feel much better that I'm not alone in feeling like this- its not just laziness heehee x

Emma London said...

Haha! I navigated here through google! Iam 33weeks pregnant and exhausted! Just wanted to see if you made it through tbh! Feels like the birth is so far away, but so near at the same time! Cant wait to be able to sleep on my back again either...

http://myprettymummy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

33 weeks and exhausted too! Nausea seems to have reappeared a bit aswell, having ginger tablets helps. I have seen some pregnancy pillows that are like a small wedge, I think they would be perfect under the belly when your on your side.

Anonymous said...

oooooooooooooooo god seriously my hips feel like 10 ton weights and i am so tierd i can just lift my feet of the floor!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tired, irritable, back pain, when I sleep I wake up to hip pain and reless leg syndrome. My belly is just sooo heavy and sooo big. The baby keeps putting her leg in the birth canal opening and trying to pry it open... at least thats how it feels! I feel alot of pressure at the birth canal just for a few seconds, then it stops. Talk about pain. Geez. This kid is beating me up! I'll be so glad when this is over and I can hold my baby girl.

Anonymous said...

oh thank god ! im really not lazy im just handicapped!!!! feel so useless having hubby do everything. he works 12 hrs andcomes home to what use to be his sweet sexy wife is now fat tired grumpy sore and pregnant! soon this'll over. no more pregnancies for me after this one please. puked on my hubby in my sleep the other night! god bless pregnant women. because we are strong!

Anonymous said...

Yup 32 weeks. exhausted, yeah. Googled it, mmhmm. All that. I can't sleep at night because I'm so uncomfortable laying down and because with all these hormones racing through me, combined with my major past issues I either think someone (or something!) is breaking in or that my husband is cheating on me, one or the other. sigh. This doesn't help when I have to get up and care for my 10 month old. I want to have my baby already, but I've already had one premie and I don't want that devastating heartache again. (She's great now, but I couldn't hold her or take her home for a month.) I just started therapy to deal with some serious trauma/abuse issues and I'm not sure how much of my exhaustion is related to that. Google is like the mother I go to for advice that I never had. Couldn't have done it without "her".

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired all the time! Cant even be bothered to move. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am 33 weeks pregnant and am so so tired. I force myself to do things and then have to rest every hour for ages just to recover. It exhausting just doing everyday tasks. I am not convinced its lack of sleep, I have slept really well this past week (because ive been exhausted.) Think its just the huge amount of moving the baby is doing, that and the growing!!!

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking I'm just being lazy-or I'm not sleeping enough at night-but I am! I am sleeping enough at night and I'm STILL tired!! Lol. I guess it's natures way of telling us to take it easy and save up energy for the long road ahead :) now..someone explain this to my other two children..

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am at week 33 too, and feel so tired :( Its my second pregnancy and I feel more tired than with my first one as now I have to run after a toddler too!!!

Anonymous said...

33weeks and exhausted! You're post was so relatable! Baby #2 and I can hardly chase the first.