Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day Mom

Warning: Total Sappy Content! I'm getting to the emotional part of pregnancy so I just can't help it.

In honor of Mother's Day:

My Favorite Things About my Mom:

1.) She's my personal cheerleader: My mom might not always understand everything I do, but shes always in my corner cheering me on. No matter how small my accomplishments might be she is always impressed. I remember one year I came home from college and while I was unpacking my things, she found the study sheets I had made for my biology final. I think there were about 20 chapter outlines, one chapter per sheet. To me it wasn't really anything to be proud of but my mom was totally impressed and actually asked to keep them.

2) She's all about the follow through. My mom doesn't do anything halfway. From homemade Halloween costumes every year growing up, to just-right hair-do's every morning before school, my mom puts an extra ounce of love into everything she does.

3) She's loyal. There is nothing she won't do for her family or those she cares about. I mention I could use some help re-organizing my closet, all she says is "what weekends are good for you?"

4)She's honest and consistent. My mom doesn't 'play games'. As kids, when we screwed up we knew it, and there weren't ever guilt trips or manipulation. In fact, I don't think she ever used the "just wait until your father gets home" line either. Issues were delt with immediately and with total communication. If the dead bolt was set when you came in late, you knew mom was going to be at the top of the stairs ready to give it to you for breaking curfew (it was Erin's fault, I swear! I always underestimated how long it would take me to drop her off at home).

5) Shes affectionate. My house was full of love, hugs kisses and cuddles were the rule. You can't even greet my mom without a hug. The woman is so full of love it just bubbles right out of her onto everyone around.

6) Shes predictable. I can guarantee if she isn't already, by the time she finishes reading this she'll be crying (this goes back to the love just bubbling out of her!). You always know what to expect with my mom, it is very comforting.

There is a saying that says you don't have to be a 'perfect' parent, you just have to be a 'good enough' parent. Well, my mom went way beyond good enough! The example she has set for me has set the bar pretty high. I hope to be a 'good-enough' mother to make my mom proud and do right by the example she's set (although if you go back to #1 you'll realize that might not be too hard). Thanks Mom, for being more than good enough... and I swear if I wasn't such a picky eater, perfect would have definitely been in your sights!! =)

n.b. My mom is away on vacation this week (no I didn't send her for mothers day although I would love to take credit) so don't be disappointed when there is no response from her about this, it'll be a while before she sees it. This is just my way of dealing with the fact that I can't communicate with her today. Going back to being predictable, she is probably a little depressed right now because she can't talk to her girls on Mother's day.

3 comments:

Elaine and Brandon said...

I love you mom. I remember how she made me feel like a chef the time I made those extremely miniature chocolate chip cookies. She was probably thinking "do not quit your day job to become a baker" but I remember that day every time I make chocolate chip cookies.---Thanks Mrs. Jones....

Anonymous said...

I'm crying so hard I can hardly write this...Children are our joy in life...and just like the circles in a pond...the love just keeps growing.
Becky YOU will be a wonderful Mother...and remember it is in our inperfections that endear us to our loved ones and life. xoxo Mom

Carol said...

What you have written is ever so true. The best part for me was that I had the honor of being her Mother. You will follow in her footsteps, I have no doubts. Love Grandma