Thursday, June 26, 2008

Too much infomation??


This post was brought on by an 'argument' I had with Sean last night. It was 12:00pm and I had already gotten up twice to pee (11:00 and 11:35ish) but I was up again. As is often the case with my middle of the night trips I returned to bed without washing my hands, and Sean was outraged. He feels that every trip to the bathroom requires hand washing, regardless of the situation. In my opinion it is just unnecessary since:
1) I washed my hands less than an hour ago
2) I don't even flush in the middle of the night anymore because it is a waste of water with the number of times I get up (as would be excessive hand washing, only thats also wasting soap and probably creating killer bacteria as my not-so-green secret is that I still use anti-bacterial soap) , so I literally haven't touched anything accept toilet paper.
3) Urine is STERILE and that's ALL I've done (any other 'production' would, in my opinion require hand washing)
4) Its MY bathroom, I'm not in some public place so this room is just as clean as any other room in my house.
5) Its the freaking middle of the night and I'm tired and just want to go back to bed.

Sean was totally disgusted and we decided to put it to a vote to the blog audience, if you vote in his favor and say "that's gross wash your hands every time regardless" that's what I have to do from now on. If the majority says "totally fine, so long as hands are washed during the day and for other 'productions', not washing each of the five times I'm up in the middle of the night is fine" then he has to leave me alone about it. If you know you are a germ-a-phobe, you can still vote but please let us know your predisposition (Elaine I already know about you!). I think I might require a minimum number of 8 votes for this to count so please participate. If your curious I got up at 2:30 and 5:00 and 7:00 as well, I'm apparently practicing for two hour feedings.

19 comments:

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

Washing is a must! Everytime!!! You might not have touched anything that you think has germs on it but you can't see those little guys!!! We have sanitizer and soap everywhere! With the baby wash, wash, wash! If you didn't get what I am voting for...
WASH! WASH! WASH!
In preschool they teach a little song that might help you, "Pee, Flush, Wash" it is helpful!

Elaine said...

I know I am known as a germ-a-phobe, but I think I would be ok if you didn't wash everytime. I know, no one expected that from me. But I think that people do not wash their hands when they use outhouses and that just makes me completely nausus, but I think that at your own house in the off chance that you are tired, you will be fine. I totally understand your point. I tend to go to the bathroom a lot (and I am not pregnant) and in the winter my hands break out in rashes because of the harsh soap. My vote therefore is neutral. I am all for hand washing and cleaning germs, but I also think that if you miss a wash or two here or there, life will go on.

J.A.T said...

You don't have to wash each time. I think your reasoning makes perfect sense.

J.A.T said...

P.S. J.A.T. is my blog name...it's really cousin Morgan here:)

Tiffiny said...

To quote you perfectly: "totally fine, so long as hands are washed during the day and for other 'productions', not washing each of the five times I'm up in the middle of the night is fine" Good luck, I hope you win this one!

Kristeen said...

I have to vote on your side in this one. I'm a big handwasher, but in the middle of the night, I'll give you and myself a break.

And I like your little toilet guy. He's cute. I think he and I would get along well.

julie rex said...

wash everytime! 1 more point for sean. and if you don't want to over use the anti-bacterial soap, just use half of a squirt like i do.

erica said...

The only time I get up a lot to pee is after drinking... at which point the last thing on my mind is the potential for germs. That being said, I am definitely not a germ-a-phobe AT ALL, but I do think hand washing is very important, especially if you are already in the bathroom. I am not one of those people who must wash hands a lot throughout the day (lots of teachers go way out of their way to do this... i am not one of them), but definitely in the bathroom. That being said... don't beat yourself up over it and don't let sean do so either (although I guess I am siding with him)

erica said...

PS. Does the soap contain triclosan?

Anonymous said...

I think if you keep a little bottle of sanitizer or a pop up container of wipes next to your bed and use them as you lay down, that would be good enough.
When you have the baby, then common sense says "wash, wash, wash! I believe in "family germs" to an extent and it is not like you are making dinner...you are just going back to sleep! I vote for Becky...sorry Sean!

Jen said...

TMI, but I'm with Becky on this one. It's the middle of the night and your in your own house! As long as there aren't any "productions", let it go this time around. I do agree though that if you're up in the middle of the night with the baby, then it's wash, wash, wash--- don't want to be passing germs on to him. But under the current circumstances, one more point for Becky!

Michelle :) said...

I wash every time... of course, I have a baby :)

Sneks said...

Welp, I am definitely a mild germ-phob, so that should give you some idea of where I stand. I wash everytime (you might want to just use cold water though when you wash ... saves energy! Still using water, but a bit "greener"!). So, overall, I side with Sean, because I am a germ freak!

Although, Becky, I totally agree with you that urine is sterile and thus, your argument is sound. It just makes me squirm.

How about this -- you don't have to wash everytime, but you agree to not touch Sean until you do!

Kristy said...

At least rinse.

Anonymous said...

Oy vey! Sean is right....of course

Anonymous said...

I didn't wash in the middle of the night either (unless I was getting up to care for the baby!) And nothing is off limits to discuss with me, I've known you too long :) it's jen . . .

Anonymous said...

As long as Sean always washes his hands and there are only the two of you using the bathroom so far, and it is the middle of the night and you urinate so much already, it's got to be mostly water anyway, I don't think it's a problem. Since he will never be the position that you are, I don't feel he has the right to comment on it. Love you both! Aunt Kathy

Green & Clean Mom said...

Okay, I'm Green & Clean Mom but seriously I've been where you are and when it's 2am and I've been up and down and peeing I'm tired and I'm not washing. I'm going to bed. Sorry. Be prego and you get to decide but your reasons are 100% logical to me girlfriend.

Melissa said...

Hi,
i stumbled across your blog - as I am also 38 weeks pregnant and was googling something about being 38 weeks and tired! anyway, I totally agree with you - I go to the bathroom WAY too many times in the middle of the night to not only NOT wash my hands, but I gave up flushing, too. There's just no point when its every couple of hours and not much is there, anyway! Good luck to you!