Monday, July 14, 2008

40- Week Check Up

Yep.. I'm 40 weeks today, and the little blueberry seems to have no intention of coming out. All the typical measurements are normal, the differences this week are that I am 2-3cm dilated and I have 'officially' dropped, according to my observation of the contractions being felt lower and the doctors measurement of the belly. I did ask today if there were any concerns about him being to big or me being too little and she said there was no (100% safe) way to know if he would 'fit' until we try to get him out (a cervical x-ray would tell us but they do those anymore).
So... whats the plan?? He has until 7pm on Wednesday night to choose to make an appearance on his own. If not, we go to the hospital and have labor 'augmented' since I'm already dilated and the cervix is soft and ripe I'm technically not being 'induced'. It is really a silly distinction since both occur when you aren't in active labor and in order to get contractions going they give you pitocin. So my plans for a 'natural' delivery are pretty much shot at this point, but who knows maybe he will come in the next couple days on his own.

So the deal is I check it at 7pm on Wednesday, they get me going and the baby will be born at some point on Thursday. Since labor and delivery is likely to take a very long time (particularly because its pitocin) we don't expect to be ready for visitors until around dinner time on Thursday. We will confirm that all is well for visits with our parents so you can check with them if you are interested in coming. If you need the hospital address just let me know, visiting hours go from 11am-8pm.

Wish me luck, I'll pop on with details as soon as it is feasible.

7 comments:

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

You will be fine, and I still consider my two induced labors as natural! The body just needs a little push! Gives you little extra time to figure out a name! You now have a end date and it could even be sooner! Can't wait to see pictures of the "Blueberry"!

Elaine and Brandon said...

I know this may not be lady like, but did you gain any weight since your last visit? If you "hold out" until Wed. will you take another picture?

Michelle :) said...

YAY Becky! I'm so excited for you. You'll be in my prayers these next few days!

Crystal said...

I can't wait! I'm so happy for you both. Good luck with everything and I can't wait to see pictures :)

Erin said...

Sam is still sending escapee vibes to your baby ...

Enjoy your last official night of sleep!

Kristy said...

Wouldn't a sonogram be able to tell them???