Friday, August 8, 2008

Things no one told me - Part Three

I might be wrong in saying that 'no one told me' this, but I certainly didn't attend to the information if it was offered. Maybe it is one of those things you hear and think 'oh that won't be me' but I am hear to tell you, there is a reason breastfeeding helps you take off the pregnancy weight! It is work! I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I feed Colin no less than 8 hours a day total. When they tell you to feed a newborn every 2-3 hours, that means start time to start time. Colin is a bit of a lazy eater so he will go 20 mins on a side before I have to remove him and then offer the other side. So that means I feed him for about an hour (when you count burping time and a diaper change in between sides) and then try to put him down to sleep (he doesn't fall asleep on his own very well yet) which leaves me about 40 mins before I have to start all over again. That isn't really that much time to get something to eat, use the facilities or 'nap'! Seriously I don't know how people have more than one child! Maybe it is just because I'm new at this but I am totally 'stuck' while breastfeeding. I can barely lean over to grab my water off the coffee table, let alone get up to answer the phone. How does one attend to a 2nd child (or more) while breastfeeding an infant?!?

I used to think that with all the research saying how much better breastfeeding is, why would anyone NOT breastfeed. Well yeah, I get it now, they don't tell you how much work it really is! And until pumping starts, its all on 'Mom'.

6 comments:

Elaine and Brandon said...

Do you have to wait a certain time to start pumping? I give you so much credit because it sounds like a lot of work with no time to have down time.

Erin said...

Well, as you witnessed when I visited, pumping is certainly much faster than actually breast-feeding. I don't know how I would do it if I actually put the babies to breast -- I would have no other time. As it is, I barely have any time to use the bathroom or make myself some Instant Breakfast (seriously, I should buy stock in Carnation!) between caring for the two of them. Have you ever seen that movie "Groundhogs Day"?? That's how I sometimes feel. But now that they are smiling and interacting with each other, its much more fun and rewarding!

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

It gets easier! It's just hard right now because that's all he does! I didn't switch sides for the reason you stated and I didn't feed by the clock. Which means I didn't wake them to feed. Different doc and books will tell you different ways.

Anonymous said...

TMI series

Aunt Bubbah

mommymac4 said...

It'll get faster! In no time, you'll be able to eat etc. while you feed him (I even went to the bathroom while feeding once out of shear despairation!) and a second child learns how to entertain themself or you read a lot to him/her while you nurse. To answer the waiting to pump question- you can start to pump in the hospital if you want to, you just have to find the time!

Anonymous said...

This question obviously is from someone who has never been pregnant..but can you pump enough so that you can take a break and Sean could feed so that feeding will go faster and allow you a break or do you want to breastfeed and then pump for the times that you may not be present or when you are at school?

Your information brings up concerns for me being up all the time (in the future). I think that I would prefer to pump at all times because the whole breast feeding thing is awkward (but you know all my issues!!!) I hope that though when I eventually do have a baby that perhaps my perspective changes. -Elaine