Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Q and A: Finally

Sorry guys I'm a little slow to post this because I was working on it in a file that had been on Sean's computer and I don't usually turn his computer on during the day.. but here it is!


Anonymous said...
Is it true that after you give birth you get your menstrual cycle?
ME: the short answer to this question is yes. The long answer actually depends on what you mean by menstrual cycle. If you are asking if you bleed after giving birth they yes yes and yes.. you essentially make up for the nine months you got to skip your period. If you are asking if its true that right after giving birth you are very fertile then the answer is still yes. This is part of the reason you are told to wait 6 weeks before having sex again (irish twins anyone?), although that is also to help you heal. However, your real menstrual cycle (the compete 28 day process) takes a while to return to normal, especially if you are breastfeeding.

Elaine said...
1) How does breast feeding really feel? How do you know how much your baby has received? Do you just start leaking during the day? ME: Honestly while it is a little uncomfortable (as in discomfort not awkward uncomfortable) at first it really feels totally natural. How much baby gets is always a tricky question. You basically measure by how much time they spend at the breast, and you can’t really know how much in ounces baby is getting. You can be sure baby is getting enough by monitoring the output. Leaking is tricky business, I know a couple mom who have had trouble with this.. so far I havn’t really. Occasionally overnight during the early weeks I would wake up thinking I was covered in sweat and it wasn’t sweat but I have yet to need to wear breast pads… I’ll let you know if that changes.

2)Are you using cloth style diapers, if so are they very absorbant?
ME: See posts about gDiapers.

3) Even with an epidural, does the episiotimy (sp??) still hurt? What actions do you need to take after the fact to ensure proper healing?
ME: No.. I wouldn’t have known I was getting one except that I could SEE it. I didn’t even have much pain afterwards ( Although remember my pain threshold is set strangely). They give you some ointment to put on the pads you wear and they had me sit on ice packs, but I think that was more for the swelling (which was scary excessive) than for the episiotomy.
4) I have many questions about the whole hemmroid thing during pregnancy and post pregnancy?
ME: Unfortunatly I can’t help you here… I didn’t get hemmeroids but from what I’ve heard it’s no big deal.
5) Is it true you have to produce a stool sample before the hospital will let you come home (my mom told me that she had...but that was so long ago...)
ME: No as long as you pass gas they don’t make you poop.. They don’t keep you long enough to require that anymore.
6) Do you think that videotaping a birth is something people would ever really want to watch?
ME: No freaking way.. the whole thing is like watching a train wreck. No thank you.

I am sure I will have more. And I don't mind sharing my name since people know I have a million questions.
August 9, 2008 6:05 AM

Kristeen said...
I just want to say that I think it's pretty awesome of you to do this. :)
ME: Thanks.
August 9, 2008 10:48 AM


Kristy said...
I don't have any questions I just want PICTURES!
ME: Oh Kristy!
August 11, 2008 8:36 AM

Erin said...
How long did they let you keep your epidural after delivery?
ME: I don’t remember is the easy answer but I feel like it was cut way back during the delivery to help me feel through the pushing. They took the needle out fairly quickly. I was out of L&D and into recovery in about an hour.

No comments: