Monday, November 10, 2008

Baby Food

To pick up where I left off, we will probably be starting Colin on solid foods at 4 months, which is coming up pretty quickly. For two reasons: 1) He rarely goes more than 2 hours between feedings during the day so I worry he isn't getting full (although from the size of him you wouldn't think this is the case! A waitress the other night thought he was 6 months old) and 2) he has really started investigating our food in the last week, he seems very interested in the whole eating process and this is a sign of food readiness. So what will we feed him. Dr. Sears suggests that bananas be a breastfeed babies first food because the sweetness of breast milk my make him reject bland cereals. I'm not sure I'm that much of a trend setter and there are no directions on the banana peel as to how much liquid to add or how soupy to make it. So I figure I'll try my luck with a more traditional rice cereal so I've been researching some options. Turns out, most nutrition minded people recommend starting with a brown rice cereal instead of a white rice cereal because white rice has little nutritional value. I think I have found the perfect fit for us (assuming Colin likes it). HAPPYBELLIES Organic Brown Rice Cereal with DHA and Probiotics. What the heck are probiotics you say?? Good bacteria especially formulated to help strengthen your baby’s digestive system!! Probiotics are actually a HUGE area of research right now (as seen by all the new yogurts that are coming out) and baby's have an even stronger need for them because of their developing systems. One study showed that probiotic supplements helped calm gassy babies more than any other type of gas drop! DUH right? If they are having trouble with digestion, give them some little 'bugs' to help them out!! Makes total sense. To top it all off Dr. Robert Sears even helped with the development of this cereal, which I didn't know until I read it on the label after I ordered it!!

The Happybaby company also makes organic freshly frozen baby food, which is better than jarred food because it doesn't need any of the preservatives and it is made from organic fruits and veggies. It is really the next best thing to making it yourself (which is still a possibility). I have no idea if this will be prohibitively expensive yet, but the cereal isn't that bad so I'm optimistic. It is available locally but not at a store I currently shop at so I have to check it out. (As if shopping at four different stores for groceries isn't bad enough already, I'm going to add another!)

1 comment:

Erin said...

I haven't tried the frozen cubes yet -- but they are coupons on the canisters of the cereal for buy one, get one free of the frozen stuff! Yippee!