Friday, November 7, 2008

Crazy week and Attachement Parenting..

The last few weeks have had me under a lot more stress than usual so my time to blog has decreased a bit. I have a conference coming up next week and have been preparing a poster for presentation. This is my first big school project since having Colin and while the begining of the week was very hairy (with stress magnified by not sleeping more than 90 mins at a stretch thanks to the little guy) the second half of the week went much more smoothly and I have just sent a nearly-final draft to my advisor for his opinion. I don't expect any HUGE content changes so hopefully I can finish things up this weekend just in time for the printer to get it done before the conference.

At the moment I'm stuck under a sleeping infant who woke up when my phone rang (cruses!) and doesn't want to be put back down to sleep (although he will happily sleep on me). I'm starting to fear that I have a spoiled sleeper, who refuses to sleep more than 30 mins in his crib during the day and who still wakes up 3x a night regardless of my best efforts to induce sleep. I'm stuck in a weird place that an 'attachment parenting' style would argue creates a more secure individual, but I'm just not sure. I never considered myself an attachment style parent, yet here I am sitting on the couch with my baby fast asleep across my lap and not in his crib (he does nap well in the swing too)... Lucky for me the laptop computer still allows me to get work done while in this position. Maybe I should read up on attachment parenting to see how long I can let this continue before I've created a monster...If you can't beat 'em join 'em right?
Here is a photo of Colin in his 'wrapper'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a tough balance, but I think for now I would do what is best so that you can be sane, alert, and functioning. Some kids just don't sleep in cribs that well. I remember at the daycare, we had a child who would sleep in her carrier. Her parents were fine with it because that was the only way she would stay sleeping. Her parents said at home they had more options but often had her sleep in the carrier until she was dead asleep and even then she would not sleep long in the crib.

Are you nervous about being at the presentation? Is it all day? Overnight? Traveling? Who will watch Colin? How was his Halloween? ===Elaine

Anonymous said...

He won't always sleep in your lap and you will miss it when it is gone. Nothing is wrong with them wanting to be close to you. I don't like to sleep alone, so why do I think my kids would like it! This stage will be over before you know it and another will replace it (maybe bigger or tougher) and you will think "remember when I use to fret about him sleeping in my lap". Go with what feels right!
Andrea

Erin said...

I've never bought into the attachment parenting theory -- I pump and bottle feed, I've never co-slept, I'm not a baby wearer -- but I honestly can't tell you how much of that is based on parenting philosophy and how much is based on sheer necessity. I've read a lot about making the crib a "safe place" for the baby, and I really tried to do that with Sam and Ben -- and I think that it worked. When they are tired, they will "ask" to be put in their crib, and when I put them in their crib, they'll look up at me with a big smile and then snuggle into their blankets and go to sleep. I love it. Have you tried putting a mirror or any toys in his crib? That might help a bit ...

Erica said...

Does he dislike his "wrapper"?