Tuesday, November 25, 2008

New Study on Autism and Vaccines!

A co-worker of Sean's relayed a conversation she had with her pediatrician about a study that came out in 2005 linking acetaminophen use (Tylenol) after vaccines to autism. I looked it up and so far can't find a 2005 study (well I can find this study called AVIS from 2006 but I can't find the results), but I did find a paper that came out in May of this year that shows this link with the MMR vaccine in particular. They surveyed parents and found that for children who became autistic only after vaccinations (i.e they showed no sign prior,) they were much more likely to have been given Tylenol after (or just before) their MMR vaccine. This is a correlation study so it isn't a causal link, but heck, it will certainly make me think twice about using Tylenol to relieve vaccine pain!! There was no link when ibuprofen was used. The study was published in the May 2008 issue of Autism;12(3):293-307( if you want to check it out). If I find the other study I'll keep you posted..
Scary stuff!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a co-worker who has a son with autism and two other child with sensory integration disorder. She has been involved in a lot of local groups with other parents and has questioned parental allergies to autism. She stated that a lot of the people involved have significant allergies. I told her I have not come across any research but that I also had not sought it out. -Elaine

Kristy said...

No pics... this is lame.

Brian said...

If there is one thing I am really a dork about, I think you may have found it (Okay, there may be more than one thing). This is something I had not yet heard but am quite intrigued to find out more about. After hearing that many of the characteristics of autism can be diminished simply due to diet, I would not be shocked to hear that the Tylenol, acetaminophen in general, might contribute to autistic symptoms. It’s pretty scary to think that putting a teeny pill into our mouths, or the mouths of young ones, can cause life-long repercussions. Especially something that is so commonly used. It will be interesting to see what further studies find. Thanks for the heads up! - Brian

Elaine said...

were you ever able to find this study?-Elaine