Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And now this... Mercury in our Food!

The blog-o-sphere has erupted with this news! High fructose corn syrup, a sweetener found in just about every processed food around, has been shown to contain MERCURY. You know mercury, the known brain toxin and has been implicated in the autism spectrum of disorders, birth defects, mental retardation, oh the list goes on and on. Recent tests showed that 9 out of 20 products containing HFCS were contaminated with trace amounts of mercury. Whats worse the FDA knew about this but DID NOTHING to warn consumers. Not only that but those stupid commercials lately are saying that HFCS is just as safe as sugar!

Some links for more info (or another bloggers spin):

http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=105026 (thanks Aunt Eileen)

http://tryingtobegreener.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/study-finds-mercury-in-corn-syrup-made-in-the-us/

http://safemama.com/2009/01/28/mercury-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

http://ecochildsplay.com/2009/01/26/mercury-found-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

So the good news, not all manufacturers use the 'mercury-grade' component when making HFCS, so just because a product has HFCS doesn't mean it has mercury. If you have a favorite product or beverage of concern call the company and ask. Better yet, ditch the HFCS wherever possible (this is harder than you think, it took me 30 mins the other day to find bread that was both 100% whole wheat and had no HFCS.) Sean and I started to go HFCS-free in 2006 after I read SuperFoods Rx, (I've also read that it contributes to premature aging, that had me kicking the habit right-quick) but I do 'treat myself' occasionally.

Knowing that I very likely exposed Colin to mercury in the womb is upsetting... This just re-affirms my need to 'go green' for him. I just got back from one of the five stores I grocery shop at now in my quest to find organic produce for his baby food. All I found today was apples and sweet potatoes. I was hoping for yellow squash and zucchini since I had seen them there last time but he wasn't yet 'old enough' for them. I miss Wegmans.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I typically tell Brandon I love any food that contains HFCS...I would say it is my favorite food group. I think we all are surprised when we read what is in most foods. Although dairy is not life treatening and I do not want people to mis-interpret my "loose" association, people will state "oh don't be silly there is no dairy in this" but when I read the ingredients, I see that indeed their is. It is frightening that even foods that are marketed as "healthy" "all natural" are just as bad as the "bad" food. I guess there is so much to think/worry about even before you get pregnant. Thank you for your information.-Elaine

Julie said...

so is it just coincidence that those commercials have been on TV? i wondered about those......

Erin said...

I started trying to avoid HFCS several months ago -- and the "normal" grocery store we shop at does not have any bread, that I can find, that does not have HFCS in it! I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and start doing more shopping at Whole Foods ...

Anonymous said...

There will always be some risk that we don't yet know about. You just have to make the best decision you can with the information available. You are doing that and then some- certainly much more than many parents. Don't beat yourself up for doing the best you can. ~Pam.

Kristy said...

Move up here!!! There are lots of Wegmans up here!!! :)