Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It is time to baby proof!

Colin is approaching the time when he is actually mobile, so I have to start thinking about baby proofing! Additionally if his buddies Ben and Sam come to visit I have to move quickly because they are very mobile. Mostly I'm in pretty good shape, I'm getting some door latches and things but my biggest issue is the desk that is in our living room. It isn't really a desk it is just a table so all the computer and printer cords just hang down off the back. That isn't very safe, little hands can pull things onto their heads! How does one deal with this issue? I'm thinking of wrapping the cords around the table legs, but I'm not sure if that will really work. How do other people deal with this issue?
More cord issues and the paper shredder which will probably have to be moved unless I want confetti everywhere!
My other biggie! The litter box! It is in the living room because I have no other options. The bathroom is way too small and the closets are all FULL to the brim. I had thought I would put a gate around it but it doesn't seem to be as simple as I hoped and I have to make it so the cats can still get to it... If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. To start I'll probably try to turn the entrance toward the wall and hope he doesn't notice... (You can see I also have to move the power strip!)



The bookcase doors will be getting some flexible latches from One Step Ahead. I'll let you know how they work.

7 comments:

efalcone said...

Becky,
I had an idea about your cords - get a big board (foam? wood?) that is as high and wide as the desk. Slip it behind the desk and put all the cords/power strips behind it. (Although I see it will block your ventilation. Maybe a smaller board but tape all the wires behind it.) Or, can you fit your computer table in your bedroom? Then you can just shut the door. When he gets really mobile, he'll be all over your electronics if he can reach them. We covered up all our stereos, tvs, cd players etc with cardboard to keep our babies out of them. Be careful with your tv - a toddler can pull it down on top of themselves. It will be a challenge to create a safe haven for him in such a small space, where you won't have to constantly follow him around all the time saying No! No! I worry about your windows - those standard guards don't look sturdy enough. good luck! p.s. I read your blog all the time and am so glad you do this!

Erin said...

Just a comment on the shredder -- it looks like ours, and it is so top-heavy -- if they get their hands on it, it's going to tip over, and then the top will fall off, which will leave the exposed blades. I definitely recommend putting it up somewhere ...

Also -- you can buy little baby "fences" at Babies R Us -- that might be a way to cordon off the area where you don't want Colin to explore ...

Anonymous said...

Ok Bec here are your Mom's suggestions..
1. Move sewing table to inside Sean's closet-moving his shoes up and hang in pockets on his door.( I really think it will fit nicely in the back of his closet)
2. Move cat litter box to under folding table that is in other corner..under table cloth ( but will probably have to find room for what you have already hidden under there...lol)
3. Purchase an armoire or fold down-up wall desk unit (Ikea) to match book shelves to put against wall and hide all cords including putting paper shredder inside door cabinet.
4. If cat box can't be moved to above suggestion what about lower cabinet in kitchen next to sink? Thats all I got so far honey xo Mom

Kristeen said...

Mrs. Jones, that is just impressive! It's like you have an Drawn-to-scale organizational space planner in your head. Wow! (so uh, you wanna come over?) lol :)

Becky said...

I also thought of moving the litter box to that location. The downside is it will be MUCH harder to clean, but the upside is Colin doesn't eat cat poop.. I guess I'm going to have to become a contortionist.

Anonymous said...

I have seen at businesses where they have these plastic type 1/2 cylindrical (sp??) long tubes that could mount on a wall that can hide cords as like a tunnel. I do not think they would be expensive. You also can you ties to bundle them together as well. We have used these ties that you have to cut off when you are done but you get like 1000 for like a few dollars (kind of like the old way you tied trash bags) to put our computer cables together. Those knob handles looked very stylish. Good luck...On another note, I was wondering how is your water bottle that you bought a while ago? I was wondering if it had any "odd" taste or if you felt there may be a better bottle out there?-Elaine

Anonymous said...

Sorry to comment again. I was at The Container Store last night and saw some good options for you. I am unsure if there is a store near you but you can look at their items online as well. They had a lot of great cord wraping options with velcro and something called the "cable zipper" that looked neat. Nothing was expensive. Just wanted to throw that as an option. Oh, I am off to Ikea today for the first time. We are not looking to buy anything, just look at options for the future.-Elaine