Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Ugly Buggy Discount.

If you don't already know this about me, I'm a bargain shopper. I used to say I was the Queen of Bargain Shopping until I read about some of the bargains my blogging buddy Gwen Mangine has gotten. So I'll just be the Duchess of Bargain shopping.
Here is my latest story of the hunt:
Colin is growing out of his car seat/infant carrier so I wanted to be prepared and have the new stoller and car seat ready when it was time. So I went on the hunt for the perfect new stroller! I knew I wanted another Maclaren because of the quality and the wonderful umbrella fold quality. I ordered the Maclaren Triumph from BabiesRus.com and when I came I realized that none of the 'five position recline' was even close to flat. This stroller is going to be a major place for naps while we travel next month (I'm crazy for traveling internationally with an 8 month old, but that's another post) so I needed it to recline flat. So it went back. Turns out it is the Maclaren Techno XLR that reclines flat. Well that one retails for 360.00! OUCH! So I went on the hunt and found a new one on Ebay for $195 including shipping, a matching foot muff, the rain cover, an extra piece of padding (not sure exactly why it came with that) and the baby head positioner. The catch.. its is a color pattern that no one wanted. Its called Tan/ Crimson and her is the picture. However, in REAL LIFE its more of a camel and burnt orange (the picture does not come close to how ugly it really is!). My biggest concern looking at it online was that it would get dirty. My new concern is that it is borderline embarrassing to push this color combination around and have people think I actually picked it out and paid money for it. However, I have no shame. Some of you might remember the 'ugly luggage' discount I got when I first moved to NYC. I used a piece of luggage that had jean pocket print covering it. It was hideous!
The upside of the 'ugly discount' is that you never have to worry about people stealing your stuff!

P.S. this is my 200th post! I'm the big time now. =) HA!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where overseas will you be traveling to? Vacation?

Erin said...

Well, when I come and visit, you can put Colin in the grey and green MacLaren with one of the boys, and I'll push the other twin in the ugly buggy!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Sorry, I wanted to edit my comment! After looking it up, I found that the QUEST reclines "almost flat" and that the TECHNO reviews also state that it reclines "almost flat". Do you know what the difference is between the 2 strollers?(Because I am looking into buying the quest)

About the color, it looks very "retro". (especially with the stripes on the hood) Just think of it like that:)

Anonymous said...

As a "non-mom" I have never looked at a stroller and thought about "how ugly" it was. I have thought of that is a cute pattern but I have never commented when it was not a super fancy pattern. I would not invest much money in a stroller since they do not use this for a long time and you will never get back your money. If someone worries about the color of your stroller then that person truly has too much time on their hands.--Elaine

Erin said...

Julie -- I have the Twin Techno and LOVE it. The seat isn't 100% flat when reclined, but pretty close (or close enough for me!). I don't know anything about the Quest, though.

Anonymous said...

Just make Sean push the buggy around, then everyone will think he picked the color. :) P.s. I hear that in Switzerland, that cream color is the hottness!!!

Kristeen said...

Some people may remember the ugly luggage, but I remember when all this bargain shopping started. Remember making an entire lunch for both of us for something like $2.00? We were super losers even back then. This memory makes me smile... and then I go back to semi-loathing you for going to Switzerland :)

Kristy said...

You could take it to the ugly bug ball.

What a happy time you'll have there... one and all... at the ugly bug ball.

Kristy said...

Lavender blue, dilly, dilly, dilly, dilly.... silly.

Not the same song but I knew you would go there...

ps - the ugly luggage was always the easiest to spot in baggage claim... maybe the same will apply to the ugly bug.

Anonymous said...

You are going to Switzerland? Why, what is there?-Elaine

Kristy said...

Actually Bec...if it's as ugly as you say it is...I'm NOT seeing it! I really like the tan and orange...it is retro colors but it's not juvenille and cutesie so I' loven' it! :) Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't click on the link in this post.-Elaine

Becky said...

It should work now.. Julie I'm looking into the quest.. I'll get back to you.

Julie said...

thanks becky, although i watched some demonstrations on youtube, and it looks like the techno does recline almost completely flat. The quest reclines at about a 45degree angle. however, it is supposedly enough of a recline to allow a child (6 months and older) to nap.

Erica said...

I do not think it is very ugly.

rita said...

OMG! This is so funny, cause I was about to purchase the same stroller on ebay for the exact price, free shipping!!! Cant go wrong with that, right? Well, now I wont buy it for my baby girl! That bad huh? lol!
Ill refrain this time!
THanks!