Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What are you reading?

So I've recently started reading while Colin nurses. He gets so distracted these days I've had to retreat to his room to feed him so I've started keeping a book in there. I've been reading The Happiest Toddler on the Block It is by the same author who wrote, The Happiest Baby on the Block, Harvey Karp. Sean and I could not have lived without the advise from that book when we first brought Colin home, so I thought I would see what he has to say about toddlers. This is obviously a wee bit pre-mature but Colin is already showing a bit of a stubborn streak so I wanted to get a head start.
All things considered, I like the book. I really like his writing style and use of examples. His theory is that our toddlers are like little cave-men. They have limited language and minimal logic, they are ruled mostly by emotion and impulse (I know some adults like that!) because their brains are still developing. One point that I found very interesting is that adults are very good at speaking a toddlers language when he is happy. Saying "MmMMm yummy cracker", instead of "Are you finding that cracker to you liking Colin?" but when they are upset all of a sudden our language becomes more complex "Colin, we don't bite when we are mad, we use our words". He explains when kids are upset they simply hear "Colin blah blah blah blah blah blah" so it stands to reason they would miss the message entirely. He offers lots of tips and solutions for turning off tantrums before they start and shortening them when they do.
If you have a child between the ages of 1 and 5 it might be worth the read! I certainly found it interesting. I can't comment on how well it works yet, but I'll let you know in a year or so!

Next on my pile of books to read: Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day

I really think I need to get a little table to hold my books and my water, but I think Sean would pass out if I try to squeeze another piece of furniture in that room (but it would totally fit!)

5 comments:

Daisy and Ryan said...

aiden and i usually watch each other when he nurses, but lately when he is falling asleep or during the bedtime nurse, i'll try to read a magazine or something that is nearby. if he realizes i have something in my hand (which is pretty much every time!), he tries to get up to see what it is - or take it away. he's so nosy!! haha! he can't stand for me to be doing something else while he is eating!

Erin said...

I haven't read "Happiest Toddler on the Block," but I think that Karp is an advocate of extended nursing (up to age 2?) because toddlers retain the suck reflex. To each his own -- but I want S&B to be on sippy cups shortly after their birthday. With a sister who is a dental hygienist, I would be in real trouble if I kept them on bottles!

What am I reading? Ha! I have a stack of books I still haven't read that I received as gifts when I was on hospital bedrest -- and the stack remains untouched in the babies' closet. Someday, right?! Currently, the stack on my coffee table consists of Legal Ethics, Advanced Criminal Procedure and Environmental Law. Jealous?? :)

Kristeen said...

I was at the book store with a friend the other day who was looking in the baby section, and I came across that book. I couldn't remember if it was the one you had read until I skimmed it and saw the 5S's. That book is definitely on my to-buy list when it's my turn.

Kristy said...

I am currently re-reading Good Night Moon and have lost track how many times I now have read it. Other quality reads are "Are you my Mother?" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." :)

I ordered the audio book Wicked from the Liverpool Library to listen to at work. I am pretty excited about it.

Becky said...

I havn't really picked up on the extended nursing thing from the books. Although he does talk about giving a pacifier in one section which I found odd since he recommended getting rid of them at 4 months in the Happiest Baby Book.