Saturday, April 18, 2009

Full Disclosure- Diaper Issues

I have a confession. I'm having a diaper crisis and have been using traditional disposables at night and while out of the house. Both g-diapers and 7th generation disposables have been leaking. Not just once in a while and not just if he has been in the diaper too long. Nearly every diaper leaks, and I could have just changed it 15 mins before. I think my little guy is just a very heavy wetter! I had to purchase Pampers in Switzerland and even those leak about 40% of the time. Right now I'm using Huggies and 7th gen while we are in the house (I have two bags of diapers in his size so I have to use them up). Colin is still too small for the large g-diapers, but I'm hoping as I get him weaned from breast milk over the next three months he won't pass so much urine and I can go back to g-diapers. I have read that I can double up the liners but those puppies aren't cheep so I'll just save them.
I'm disappointed but I can't keep changing his clothes three or four times a day. 1) I don't have that many outfits in the right season (its finally getting warmer!) and size, and 2) I already do laundry 1 or 2 times a week, I can't fit in anymore laundry!
I'll let you know when things change.

Edited to add:
One more thing. Whoever invented baby pj's that that are fastened with over a dozen snaps should get a wet willy! Clearly they never had to snap those puppies in the middle of the night when it is dark and your child has soaked yet ANOTHER set of pj's at 3am. Zippered pj's are the way to go and they aren't always easy to find!

7 comments:

Daisy and Ryan said...

So sorry to hear this!! We had a lot of leaks when Aiden was betweeen sizes with smalls and mediums. It was so very frustrating, and we were ready to give up on g's, which I hated (the giving up part)!! And I hated to admit it, too. :(

When we doubled up...we didn't waste anything really. When he was changed and the back was completely dry - I would cut that half off and save it. When I needed the extra stuffing - that half would go UNDER a whole new flushable. (So nothing that touched him previously was touching him again - for those that are wondering or thinking "ewwww") Would that help? I did that anytime he wasn't wet in the back - since the pee was usually up front, even when it was enough to cause a leak!

We would use small liners in the medium pants - but that wouldn't help any moving up to larges since they use the same liners, huh.... What if you put the larges on but folded back the laundry tab before closing the velcro so that it would tighten a bit more? I did that a lot, too. Do you know what I'm talking about? It's hard to explain... I could always send a pic if you're not sure but think it might help.

I totally get your frustration, though, b/c that's where we were just a while back. :( It was no fun. And had we tried bumgenius during that time, we totally would have switched! I'm glad it finally worked out, but we were struggling for a couple months (I really didn't want to give up obviously!).

Have you tried calling gdiapers and talking to anyone there? Or try the yahoo group - the ladies there really are GREAT help!

Wish I could help more! Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. :(

Erin said...

Where is he leaking? Out the sides? The top front? I might have some suggestions ...

Becky said...

Leaking out the sides mostly but occasioually out the top.

I've browsed through the g-diaper yahoo group but havn't come up with any solutions. Maybe I'll call the g-diaper folks next week and see what they say.

Daisy and Ryan said...

I know a lot of people say it might be too tight when it's leaking out the sides...could it be that you need to loosen the velcro closures some? Just curious b/c that's come up as a good solution often. Or could it be the liners? They really are supposedly only good for about 6 months. It's recommended to line dry BUT every now and then to pop them in the dryer for a few minutes to help get the elastic to "bounce back." (Apparently this is a rec from gHQ.) Or you could try waterproofing if you think that could be an issue.

Oh - there are so many possibilities. But I'm wondering how old the liners are or how tight the gpant is, though I would assume the gpant wouldn't be as much of an issue with you having been using them for so long already. Hmmm....

Sam said...

I totally agree with the fact that buttons suck and baby clothes should have zippers. I hope things get better with the leaking.

Kristy said...

Overnighter's!

Daisy and Ryan said...

We had a few zippered pj's and did NOT like them at first. We swaddled Aiden at night, and when doing diaper changes during the nighttime - buttons were our friend! If we tried a zippered pj - you had to undo all of the swaddled blanket and then do it up all over again - but with the buttons, you could just undo the bottom part to change the diaper. He usually woke up either way, but he woke up less with the buttons. Once he was no longer swaddled, the zippers were fine, though. We still use buttons almost 100% of the time. Right now, though - we're doing two piece pj's to have shorts b/c Aiden gets warmer sleeping with us.