Thursday, April 30, 2009

Update on Sickness...

I guess I spoke too soon, I was not sparred the horror of this illness but seem to be on the road to recovery. I still don't believe that we have swine flu but Sean has to be tested for it before he is allowed to return to work, so I'll know more when that test comes back. Of all of us my symptoms are closer to it since I started with a head cold, however I only had a mild fever of 100.5 and that didn't last long at all.
The following description of my symptoms maybe too much information for some people so if you are squeamish stop reading now (You can start again at the next paragraph is you want). Between the hours of 10pm and 2am I experiences the most violent vomiting and diarrhea (simultaneously) than I have ever experience in my life. I have done a lot of vomiting in my life (from anxiety) and have always prided myself on my ability to vomit discretely (so much so that people in the same room have not noticed). Well whoa nelly I woke up the baby each and every time!
Poor Sean. Colin is a bit of a mama's boy so it was a little bit hard on him to not have me tend to him. THANK GOD, we started weaning his nighttime feedings. By 4am (the goal time for last night) I was feeling well enough to nurse. Honestly, I'm sure breastfeeding has been what has prevented him from becoming more sick. Of all of us he has fared the best, and while he still has some nasty smelling farts he seems to be healthy. I do think my supply is down and he seems a little frustrated by that but I'm staying hydrated and trying to drink ensure to keep my calories up. I'm not sure we will make it to the goal time tonight since I'm pretty sure he hasn't eaten as much as he normally does (complected by the fact that he is also refusing to eat much solid food) but that is okay, it will have me get my supply back up to where it should be.

Now for something totally unrelated:
Julie asked about the flash cards hanging off the stroller in the previous posts picture. My mom got those for us for train rides in Switzerland so I'm not sure if they are from what you are referring to but I don't think so. They are rhyming flash cards (you're looking at the rhyming words on the backside of the card), and are meant for much older children, but the front has the word and a picture (airplane in the card you can see). Colin really enjoys playing with them and having them read to him. They normally live in the car but I quick threw them on the stroller in case he got bored (and promptly forgot they were there.) So no, my intent is not to teach Colin how to read early (although I wouldn't mind if it has that effect, Sean read at age 3 so it is possible he will read early too.) We also use the baby signing time flash cards. I think he likes the novel way they move related to each other (compared to his books) so it keeps him entertained. Plus these cards have different colors so sometimes we pull out "all the red ones" and read those as a way to mix it up.
Also yes, I do realize I have a monster child compared to Sam and Ben (although in his defense it isn't a fair comparison they were preemies!). The Jones girls grow 'em big I guess! Lukas was 2inches longer and 3lbs heavier at this age! I actually was in the mall in a baby store behind another child and the mom and I got to doing the "how old is your baby?" conversation. When I told her 8 months her jaw hit the floor, come to find out her daughter was 9 months and much smaller than Colin (I would have guessed she was 5/6 months TOPS!) so it was my turn for my jaw to drop. Made me wish I wasn't shoving O's in Colin's mouth at that moment.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is Erin and her babies doing? Since they had it first, I would assume that somehow it has been passed along and if they are all better, perhaps you will feel better in the next few days. Take care-Elaine

Julie said...

I am relieved to hear that the flashcards have an easier side....those rhyming words looked pretty intense!

I cannot believe that Lukas was even bigger than Colin at his age! Maybe Colin will be a basketball player. But, sorry to say, his dreams of holding the class name card on picture day will never be fulfilled. He must join the rest of us tall people in the back row:)

This swine flu is out of control. I wonder who came up with that name.....I guess it sounds better than pig or hog, but I keep on picturing SWANS when I hear it. Seems more pleasant, swan flu. I hope your fam doesn't have it, and that you feel better soon.

Becky said...

Actually Ben is still very sick!The poor little guy is still vomiting with some regularity and seems to be having a hard time mounting a good immune response to this. Sam has fared better but is still having diarrhea. He was at the dr yesterday and they don't see enough weight loss to hospitalize him yet.

Becky said...

Julie you do know that swine is the 'technical' term for pig related things right? Like 'avian' for birds or 'equestrian' for horses? Maybe you are asking who decided to call pigs swine? I think swine came first actually... not sure.

Kristeen said...

Haha, Julie... I think they should have called in the "Hog Flu!" It just sounds so backwoods and fun, like, "Dang! I can't come in to work today, yep I got me some of that HOG flu!"

On a serious note, I hope everyone starts to feel better!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but Kristeen then they may think it is wine flu and state, "oh I drank too much and now I came down with that wine flu." HA HA HA

Elaine

Anonymous said...

Bec, tell Julie..I try to find different things that I know can grow with the child. I don't always like to do the normal stuff. Knowing he will get that along the way regardless.

Erin said...

Hey guys -- just a comment on the "So Your Baby Can Read" reading system. I've talked to a couple of my friends who are elementary school teachers about the program (because the infomercial seems so fabulous) -- and they say that the program is actually pretty horrible. It teaches the child sight-reading only and completely ignores phonics. They said that they now see kids in their classes who can "read" because they know sight words, but have no idea how to "sound out" a word, so if they haven't memorized the word, they have no clue.

Hopefully, we're on the road to recovery. Ben went 24 hours without puking and I thought we were done with all of that -- but then he threw up his dinner. I'm hoping that he just ate too much because he was starting to feel better. At least he's drinking now so we can avoid a trip to Children's Hospital ...

Daisy and Ryan said...

man, i hope everyone is feeling better very soon!! :(

aiden has had a cold (or allergies?) all week, and i've picked it up from him. not so bad as what you guys have at all! but camden came home yesterday throwing up and was up all night. :( i'm hoping it's just something he ate and not a virus!!

and i'm with you on the big baby thing. to me, aiden is actually small. have you heard how big camden was? ;)

be well!!

Julie said...

Yes, Becky, I know that swine is the scientific name for a pig...but I just can't get past it. Like they are trying to class it up. Kristeen understood my train of thought with the pig/hog thing....I have these "deep thoughts" sometimes!

Erin-yea, I have read the same thing about the "your baby can read" program. The program focuses on holistic word recognition instead of phonics....resulting in the abilty to identify words by sight. I have used the holistic approach with students when I was getting my special ed. degree, and it was helpful in certain situations where some kids just do not understand phonics/spelling. However, I have also read, and I agree, that using a combination of holistic and phonics is best....everything in moderation!

Nicole said...

A combination is best! Otherwise they end up in my class and can't read!

Erica said...

You could refer to it as H1N1...(have fun trying to think of new things that H and N may stand for...) or Mexican flu (which I found particularly entertaining).

Poor babies (and you too Becky, and Sean...) I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Kristy said...

Ha ha! Becky's telling Julie what swine means!!!

I am sick. I hope it's not the swine flu because I don't want to have to say that I have it. Only because I think it makes a fat reference that I don't need to bring attention to.