Friday, May 15, 2009

Fruit Pizza

Since BBQ season is upon us, I thought I would give you my favorite recipe to bring along because it's pretty and delicious! We had our first BBQ of the season on Mother's Day and this was a huge hit. It was introduced to me by our neighbor growing up. My memory of hers was that fruit was added in a random pattern to look like a pizza. I do mine more like a tart, mainly because I'm anal and like things in patterns. I think it is more impressive that way but you can do it however you like. A few people asked for the recipe so here it is.

For the Crust and Sauce.
  • 1 pkg refrigerator sugar cookie dough
  • 8 oz of cream cheese softened
  • 4.5 oz whipped dairy topping (Cool Whip)
Fruit (you can use anything you want but I use these)
  • Strawberries (you'll need about a pint or less)
  • Banana (1 large or 2 med)
  • Kiwi (2ish)
  • Pineapple (1 can of chunks in its own juice and save the juice!)
  • Blueberries (about a pint)
Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2c pineapple juice
Press the cookie dough into a pizza pan to make the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 mins (This can vary depending on the thickness of your crust/ size of your pizza pan.) Cool. Whip cream cheese and topping together and spread over the cooled crust. Next place your fruit in any pattern you like. I try to separate the pineapple and banana because they are both yellow.

For the glaze: boil the ingredients for one min. It helps to dissolve the cornstarch before you add the sugar to avoid clumps (if you do get small clumps don't worry about it they aren't noticeable.) Spoon over the fruit paying special attention to the bananas.

Chill before serving. Take to BBQ. Impress your friends/family.

I wish I took a picture of mine but I didn't.. here is one I found on the internet that is pretty (prettier in fact that mine was anyway, although mine usually has more fruit on it) it looks like they used mandarin oranges and no pineapple or banana. You can get really creative!

Try and and tell me how much your family loved it!

P.S. Check back this evening for another installment of my favorite things!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

This sounds fantastic! I hope to try and I'll let you know how it goes :)

Anonymous said...

Great Job Bec...it's a work of art my darling!! xo Mom ps Nancy McP would be proud!

Becky said...

That pic isn't mine Mom, just one I found on the internet.. I didn't have my camera the day I made mine so I didn't get a picture.