Friday, May 8, 2009

He has changed me.

There is a comercial that says "Having a baby changes everything" and while I think that statement is a little too broad, (I'm a literalist) having a baby does change a lot of things. Here are just a few examples of how Colin has changed me.

  1. I no longer return carts to the cart corrals! I used to be a stickler about this and would always return my cart. Stray carts caused me to inwardly shake my fist at the lazy person who left it. Then I went on my first shopping trip with Colin. He was snapped into the car seat and there I was holding the cart thinking 'I'm supposed to walk half way across the parking lot and leave my baby alone in the car' Yeah right! I parked that puppy right next to the car and moved on with my life. I do appreciate stores that have 'Customers with Infants' parking spots right next to cart corrals.
  2. I no longer sign my full name at the check out counter. I used to be a stickler about my signature. I don't know why I just liked writing my whole name when I signed credit card receipts. I have always teased Sean because his last name has gotten progressively shorter the longer I've know him (now it is just By). My new signature is just R. Berry. I'm always frantic feeling by the time I get to the signature part of a shopping trip that I just don't have the mental energy to sign my whole name. If its an actual paper receipt and I'm holding Colin, you have no idea how WONDERFUL it is for a check out clerk to actually HOLD THE PAPER so I don't have to use two hands.
  3. I occasionally leave the apartment without make-up on! I almost NEVER did this pre-baby. I generally don't wear a lot of make-up so some people don't even realize I'm wearing it when I am (that's the point in my opinion) but I rarely left the apartment without at least a little bit on. Now I would say about 20% of the time I leave without putting anything on, and mostly because I don't even think about it until I'm in the car and catch my reflection in the rear view mirror.

How has/did having a baby/children change/d you?

6 comments:

Erin said...

Hmmm, this is a good one.
1) I no longer care about grades -- and this coming from the person who graduated 3rd in our high school class and cried when my first law school grade was a B. I just don't have the time to devote to school, and it just doesn't matter that much. Whether I get an A, or a B, or a C (okay, I might still freak out about a C!), all I need are the credits -- because by the time I have 86 credits, I'll be a lawyer, regardless of my transcript!

2) I always said I wouldn't be one of *those* moms who leave the house looking like a hot mess. Well -- I am! By the time I have two toddlers ready to go, I don't have the time or energy to doll myself up. For example, I wore a pair of running pants to my final yesterday -- and just left on my normal underwear, so I had an awesome underwear line -- something I would have been aghast about before kids!

3) I'm totally with you about the shopping carts! Pre-twins, I would NEVER leave the cart in the parking lot!

4) I've had to become less shy. Having twins attracts a lot of attention and I've had to get used to being the center of attention because random people will literally crowd around the double stroller in a store and ask a ton of questions (many of them VERY personal -- i.e. "did you use fertility drugs?"). Along this same line, I've had to become more outgoing -- I've literally walked up to random moms in the mall, struck up a conversation, and then asked them for their email so we could hang out at some point. Sometimes it's worked out, sometimes not. But hey, I need mommy friends, I'm totally isolated here in CT and my friends who don't have kids yet just don't understand why I can make spur-of-the-moment plans!

Kristy said...

I am totally with Erin on the lack of independence and inability to just pick up and go. Everything has to be planned at least an hour in advance.

I also have had to become more outgoing in public. Lukas has to say hi or bye to literally every person he sees (even if they look creepy!). Old Navy is the worst because of all the checkouts by the entrance. Everyone knows I have just walked in with Lukas!

I have been known to enjoy sleeping and just "relaxing." I am not going to go into to much detail since you still don't sleep through the night but I really miss sleeping in. I still come alive at 9pm at night and don't get to sleep until well past midnight and this makes it hard to get up at 5:30 or 6am when he gets up.

I miss getting to eat a hot meal. Even if we feed Lukas first and let him run around... then he is running around unsupervised and probably jumping or climbing on something he shouldn't be. He has also become a fussy eater and that has made it all the more difficult. Don't give him something he won't like unless you want to be wearing it.

I really have no problem walking a shopping cart to the storage area while Lukas is strapped in his car seat. I just tell him that I will be right back. I also make it a habit not to park too far from one so it won't be a long way to go.

mommymac4 said...

Ah, where to begin . . . I almost always look like a mom when I go out, unless it's a planned outing with Dan or a friend. We're talking- no make-up, possible holes in my clothes, something smeared on me, hair unstyled, etc. I've even accidently forgotten to eat breakfast and brush my own teeth. I'm also judgmental now about other parents- epecially when I see them out with their toddlers at 9:30 at night! It's a good thing I'm perfect . . . Totally unrelated, but since I noticed your comment on Colin's size- Will is 32 lbs and Katie is only 23 lbs. People never fully believe me when I tell them that Eddie and Will are not twins, Katie is the twin. There's only 4 lbs difference between the boys . . . All that matters is that all of the boys in your blog (Lukas, Sam, Ben, and Colin of course) are healthy!

Amy said...

Oh man, I love it when they hold the checkout slip for you.

Let's see...
1. I know a lot less. Pre-baby I had all SORTS of ideas about what I "would" and "would not" do. Ever. Bwah ha ha. Whatever stops the screaming.

2. I take a bajillion pictures. All the time.

3. I get excited about 4 hours of sleep in a row.

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

lots of changes:
nothing is ever quick! Always plan for things, drinks, snacks, diaper bag, toys and that's just to run errands.

Running to the bank or the grocery store by myself is a treat!
Coffee isn't a treat anymore, it is a requirement to get through the day (except I am off it right now for Brody)
Grown-up movies are so yesterday! Although I now get to see all the tween movies with Bree and I am excited to get out for it!
holding bug, not a fan, but when they are handed to you from a very excited boy what else is there to do!
Only for hours of sleep a night isn't because I was at a great party!
make-up what's that?
ask me kid questions I am all over it, grown up questions not so good!
Besides that not much has changed!

Andrea (Mom to the B's) said...

lots of changes:
nothing is ever quick! Always plan for things, drinks, snacks, diaper bag, toys and that's just to run errands.

Running to the bank or the grocery store by myself is a treat!
Coffee isn't a treat anymore, it is a requirement to get through the day (except I am off it right now for Brody)
Grown-up movies are so yesterday! Although I now get to see all the tween movies with Bree and I am excited to get out for it!
holding bug, not a fan, but when they are handed to you from a very excited boy what else is there to do!
Only for hours of sleep a night isn't because I was at a great party!
make-up what's that?
ask me kid questions I am all over it, grown up questions not so good!
Besides that not much has changed!