Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lesson Learned...

Turns out it isn't just the size of a food that can make it a choking hazard!! While out shopping for new finger foods I found some dried peas and thought they would make a good finger food, it even said so on the packaging (although I now submit that it says good for toddlers finger food). They are a little on the crunchy side so we gave him one and watched to see what he did with it. He popped it in his mouth, we heard and audible crunch and he reached for another from my hand. He definitely liked them, so we put more on his tray. At the end of his meal he started to cough and that quickly turned into a choking sound. Sean was right there with him and quickly swept out his mouth. What we found was about 12 peas in his mouth that he hadn't swallowed along with a goldfish or two. Apparently Colin was hording them in his mouth (remind you of anyone Mom?!? [for the rest of you the answer is ME, I had to have two root canals at age 8ish because I would store meat in my cheeks so I didn't have to swallow it].) I think it might have been the skins on the peas that were causing the problem because he couldn't break them up (without molars). He continued to spit out pea skins over the next half hour. We won't be offering those again anytime soon!

I was also considering offering raisins but I'm now thinking that is also a bad idea. So much to learn!!! Where the heck do they tell you this stuff?!? I feel like a dumb *** for not knowing this but who chokes on something the size of a PEA!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I give the boys raisins -- but I cut them in half. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I thought that it would be too hard for them to break through the skin on the raisin without any molars. That way, they can mush them around in their mouths a bit and aren't just swallowing them whole. They looooove raisins. And prunes. Good thing, seeing Sam tends to get constipated!

Crystal said...

Wow! I'm so glad he is ok, that sounds really scary! And this is good to know.

Anonymous said...

Isn't genetics amazing??? Maureen you need to way in here. Colin must be doing something Sean did?!! He can't have "all" of Becky's bad traits! lol :)