Monday, May 11, 2009

Sleep Crawling?!?!

As if I Colin doesn't have enough sleep issues, we can now add sleep crawling to the list. We know when it happens because a loud *crack* can be heard through It is very clear that he isn't really awake and it only takes a brief second to but him back down to sleep but COME ON!!! We have enough interruptions in his sleep to deal with, I didn't need to add this to the problem. Now what do I do? Do I put the bumper pads back in? The crib makes a loud sound when he hits it but I don't think it really hurts him.

I can tell you I am really really regretting NOT getting the video monitor. I have always sort of wished we had gotten one, because he is such I light sleeper that I wake him up if I go in. That means I go to bed without checking on him and have a very hard time falling asleep because I feel like I left something hanging. Its like when you drive away from the house thinking 'Did I remember to lock the door?' or 'Did I leave the iron on?' you just have this feeling of unease until you check... Now I REALLY wish I had it. We used to be able to hold off a second and wait to hear if Colin was going to resettle himself (which he was doing with some frequency) but now he sits up, or worse, pulls himself up and can't seem get back down. By the time we have waited to hear if he is resettling he is fully awake and ANGRY about it so it takes a lot longer to put him back to sleep. If I had the video monitor I could see if he was standing and respond more quickly. It seemed so silly and paranoid when I was registering, of course now it seems silly to invest in a video monitor when we are going to be outgrowing the need for monitors (and have a very good rather $$ audio monitor.) UGH!

By the way, Colin remains fully cured of the nurse to sleep issue. Sean even put him to sleep on Saturday night and he barely made an ounce of protest...

8 comments:

Erin said...

Do you think that he is actually crawling, or just restless in his sleep and "thrashing" around? Ben runs into his crib a lot at night -- it makes a pretty horrible sound, but doesn't seem to bother him. I never put the bumper back in because I'm pretty sure he would figure out a way to use it to climb out of the crib (and then we'd all be in trouble!). He went through a phase where he would be screaming -- so I'd go in and check, and he'd be sitting up in his crib, not awake, but very upset. I'd lay him back down, snuggle him with his blanket and rub his back for a minute until he calmed down. We talked to the pediatrician about it -- he said that children will often develop night-terrors starting around a year (what do they have to be afraid of?? Not enough Eggo waffle at breakfast???). Maybe you could find a video monitor on Craigslist or at a baby consignment shop?

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere Baby related that in the months preceeding "walking" they can start having a harder time staying asleep "all" night. It's the body's way of preparing mentally and physically for walking. I think boys are just "all boy" and it's balls to the walls! :) I didn't have this with you guys. Love, Mom

Becky said...

He is definitely crawling! I went in last night to check on him and he was up on all four trying to move THROUGH the foot of the crib.. not awake but certainly moving around. I'm checking craigslist now!

Kristeen said...

Video monitors. Of all the things we've begun to research, this is definitely Brian's "baby" of sorts. We were in Target the other day and he got all misty eyed and glazed over while reading about this "flat screen video monitor." I can see having a video monitor, but my computer geek husband will probably not settle until he finds a plasma, HD version. Seriously, he's such a nerd.

Elaine said...

I wouldn't need one at my house, I could just drill a hole in the wall and peek in since the rooms are literally next to eachother and share a wall.

Anonymous said...

Get he video monitor and you can use it from day 1 on baby no. 2!

Daisy and Ryan said...

I've been reading...and this seems to actually be common. (How is it that I am forgetting all of this stuff from when Camden was a baby?? Or did he never go through any of it??) Their bodies can sometimes try to crawl and practice all that moving in their sleep. Hmmm... I think we're about to enter it soon. Aiden's already waking up more from teething or something! And he will try to get up on all fours and move all around. He is waking up at this time, though, and sometimes it's a couple hours before he will go back down b/c he just can't seem to stop! Ugh. :( Some places I've read say this 9-month sleep regression can last for a few weeks or a few months, depending on how the child slept to begin with. Yay............. No.

Aiden wakes easily, too - so I feel you on the going to bed without checking. I leave his door cracked so I can peek in, but often he wakes right when it's time for us to go to bed, so that's when he joins us.

I agree with going on and getting the video monitor. If it will make you feel that much better, it might be worth it. And you'll have it for the next one!!

Question - how did you get Colin to be ok with his dad helping to calm him and put him down to sleep? Aiden is having his daddy-strike and wants me. He'll cry and look towards the door, knowing I'm in the other room. It's stressing Ryan out - I want him to keep trying b/c he needs to be able to do it, but he doesn't like having Aiden so upset. Tips, please! He used to always let Ryan put him down! Now he's super-clingy. Congrats on the nursing success - or not-nursing, I guess. :) You'll still have plenty of other opportunities to cuddle, too!

Erin said...

Last night, about an hour after we put them to bed, Ben was SCREAMING -- so I went in to check on him (seeing there had been peaceful silence) -- and his leg was caught between the slats of his crib -- but his foot was through all the way to his knee, and he had struggled to free himself and had flipped onto his stomach, but his leg wasn't moving. It took me probably 15 seconds to free him and I was starting to freak out. Their crib models (Jardin Enterprises) have been recalled -- but the recall did not include the months when these cribs were manufactured -- because the slats break off -- I'm glad he didn't hurt himself or break his crib. I'm not sure what to do to prevent this in the future, or maybe it was just a freak accident ...