Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Making the Monkey Cake.


Everyone seems interested in the Monkey Cake so I will tell you how I did it. Here are step by step instructions.. I wish I had thought to take pictures along the way to be all fancy but I didn't.


  1. Trace your cake pans and made a pattern. I made mine so I could get the ears and nose/mouth out of one pan (and make sure it fit on my cake carrier).
  2. Make the cake. I actually used banana cake because I thought it would be appropriate. =) I only use Ducan Heinz Moist Deluxe cakes.
  3. Make the frosting. I made two batches of butter cream frosting, one chocolate and one regular. Here is the recipe I used. I followed some of the comments and used butter and butter flavor Crisco... although I think next time I would use regular Crisco because it came out pretty yellow. For chocolate I replaced 1cup powdered sugar with cocoa and increased the milk by 1/4 cup.
  4. Mix some chocolate and some regular frosting together to get the light brown.
  5. Place your pattern on your cake and cut it out.
  6. Put the ears and head together and frost normally with the darker frosting, being careful not to drag crumbs. I had to frost mine in the living room because my kitchen was too hot and the frosting kept melting.
  7. Refrigerate the cake for about 10 mins while you do the next step.
  8. Put the nose/mouth on a cutting board (or other flat clean surface) and frost with the light brown frosting.
  9. Refrigerate this part too for about 5 mins.
  10. Using a cake/icing spatula transfer the mouth/nose to the head.
  11. Fill in the gaps with more light brown frosting
  12. (This is the ingenious part!) Put aluminum foil on a cutting board and draw/frost the ears and eyes with light brown frosting. Put it in the freezer for about five mins.
  13. Peel the frosting off the foil and place it on the cake. (I made my eyes to big the first time so I had to carve it down with a toothpick.
  14. Pipe on black frosting for the smile, nose and eyes.

Photograph and enjoy!!

11 comments:

Julie said...

although i think the cake is awesome, you lost me at the "making a pattern" part in the forst step. too much work!

how long did it take you to make this cake from start to finish? i am guessing 2 hours.

Elaine said...

have you made other designed cakes before? I think I will try a designed cake sometime. It is a lot of steps, but doesn't seem super hard, just intricate.

Kristeen said...

What's the reason for only using Duncan Hines? Have you been talking to my mom? I think that's what she uses too.

Becky said...

No this is my first non-traditional shape cake. I have made a fancy butter cream cake with flowers and everything once before with the help of Kristeens mom when we were 16. I do not know what kind of cake your mom uses, but I don't think it is Duncan Hines. I have had the best luck with these cakes as far as moistness goes. I think your mom uses something that has pudding in the mix....

Becky said...

Oh and I don't know how long it took because I did it in stanges... I'm guessing it was closer to 2.5 hours.

Nicole said...

I prefer the Duncan Hines mixes too! You should go to Michael's and take the Cake Decorating classes & start a cake business! =) I never thought about freezing the cake in between, but it makes sense.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elaine said...

Any idea for your next shape?

Scott said...

That cake is really awesome! I love it!

Erica said...

If you frost the whole thing first with a really thin layer of frosting (called a "crumb-coat") and then fridge/freeze it, you can decorate much easier with much less crumb problems. This is especially important when you are cutting the cake apart. When I first saw this, I thought it was a circle pan with cupcakes for ears! My gramby always makes a bunny cake for Easter... carrot cake of course ;-)

Daisy and Ryan said...

the cake looks great! what i want, though, is the recipe to that carrot cake that you made for the smash cake - the one that someone said was the best ever! that's one of ryan's favorites, and i found one good recipe but am always on the lookout for a better one!! could i get it from you? :)