Everyone seems interested in the Monkey Cake so I will tell you how I did it. Here are step by step instructions.. I wish I had thought to take pictures along the way to be all fancy but I didn't.
- Trace your cake pans and made a pattern. I made mine so I could get the ears and nose/mouth out of one pan (and make sure it fit on my cake carrier).
- Make the cake. I actually used banana cake because I thought it would be appropriate. =) I only use Ducan Heinz Moist Deluxe cakes.
- Make the frosting. I made two batches of butter cream frosting, one chocolate and one regular. Here is the recipe I used. I followed some of the comments and used butter and butter flavor Crisco... although I think next time I would use regular Crisco because it came out pretty yellow. For chocolate I replaced 1cup powdered sugar with cocoa and increased the milk by 1/4 cup.
- Mix some chocolate and some regular frosting together to get the light brown.
- Place your pattern on your cake and cut it out.
- Put the ears and head together and frost normally with the darker frosting, being careful not to drag crumbs. I had to frost mine in the living room because my kitchen was too hot and the frosting kept melting.
- Refrigerate the cake for about 10 mins while you do the next step.
- Put the nose/mouth on a cutting board (or other flat clean surface) and frost with the light brown frosting.
- Refrigerate this part too for about 5 mins.
- Using a cake/icing spatula transfer the mouth/nose to the head.
- Fill in the gaps with more light brown frosting
- (This is the ingenious part!) Put aluminum foil on a cutting board and draw/frost the ears and eyes with light brown frosting. Put it in the freezer for about five mins.
- Peel the frosting off the foil and place it on the cake. (I made my eyes to big the first time so I had to carve it down with a toothpick.
- Pipe on black frosting for the smile, nose and eyes.
Photograph and enjoy!!