Friday, September 4, 2009

BPA is in can liners.

The other night while having dinner with some Mommy friends, the question came up. What is so bad about giving my child canned beans. Without thinking, I said "BPA" quickly realizing this probably wasn't the forum for my soap box. However, she was taken aback by my statement. I thought, by now, everyone must already know this, but I guess not. So here is my PSA: Almost all canned foods and beverages have BPA in the liner.
I will not claim perfection and say that my family never eats/drinks out of cans, but I do try to avoid them as much as possible and when I do buy canned beans I get Eden Organics, which uses BPA free can liners.
Learn what you can do to help the situation:


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

and it really isn't that hard to make your own beens from scratch! So much better for you with less sodium, they put so much sodium in canned foods! We avoid as well!
Andrea

Elaine said...

there was an article in the boston paper today/yesterday about Siggs have BPA in its bottles and knew for years but didn't say anything. I guess it said it didn't leach out of the liner..but I can forward you the article.-Elaine

Kristeen said...

I put the little icon thing on my blog... it is pretty upsetting that can liners contain it. As much as I'd like to, I can't avoid it in that way-- I'd die without canned soup!!

Julie said...

i buy the eden organics, but i didn't realize that they were BPA free....bonus!

and about making beans from scratch.....i have tried to make them on many occassions and they never come out soft! i must be a bean moron!

Erin said...

There are certain things that are just so much easier to use from a can -- like green beans. It is scary the number of chemicals in products, but I'm with Kristeen -- I just can't avoid them all. For example, I was making carrot cake yesterday for a BBQ we are going to today -- and unless I wanted to trek to Whole Foods to see if they had a particular brand, I had to deal with crushed pineapple in a regular can. I feel like we all do the best we can do ... Thanks for the info, Beck!

srezsnyak said...

We don't generally eat anything out of the can... but I totally forgot about the fruit. I love canned fruit.

Thanks for the PSA Baecky, we can always count on you!

JJ said...

Bec..even your own Mother didn't know about the cans!! Thanks for keeping me informed as well! xo

Anonymous said...

I think that it is actually more common that people do not know about it because it is not advertised in the way that drink bottles and baby items are. -ELaine

Kristy said...

sodie cans too?