Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A word (or 289) on why I dont use Facebook.

I have nothing against social media sights, I used to use MySpace and enjoyed it. The reason I can not create a Facebook page is because I am not a responsible internet user, in fact some might say I have an internet addiction (although that is probably an exaggeration husband!) Couple that with the fact that I have more work to do than I have free time and I can't 'afford' to have a Facebook account. I know myself well enough to know I would spend hours sucked into it, neglecting my thesis, husband, child, house etc.

When the time comes that I don't have to sit at my computer for four and a half hours a day (while Colin sleeps) working on my PhD dissertation I will happily get an account (especially since I should theoretically finish before Sean does so I'll have to occupy my time somehow since he will be working.)

So why do I even blog? Doesn't that take time? Yes, yes it does, but I NEED it. Since I 'stay at home' blogging keeps me sane, and feeling connected and I believe makes me a better parent (and as you’ve probably noticed, I don’t proofread that well so it doesn’t really take that much time.) And Twitter? Why is that okay? Eh! As you saw from the comments, no one I 'know' uses twitter I follow a few people, but generally don't care that much so I rarely check what people are saying. AND (and this is a big one) there are no giant backlogs of pictures and comments and conversations to search endlessly. These may be the justifications of an addict but it is what it is. I draw the line at facebook.


7 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I do not tweet because no one I know uses it and I feel that I don't want strangers following me. I like FB because I can limit who learns about me but I have issues about strangers following me, cyber stalking. I do not knock people who use Twitter as Brandon does..it just is not for me. To each their own. In life, do what makes you happy and not what other's opinions force you to do. I do miss you on FB but I do pass along to you, through Sean, anything important.

Julie said...

oh, i understand internet addiction! i SHOULD be taking a shower while anabelle is napping, but what am i doing right now?!!

i cancelled myspace, but i still have fb. and fb can definitely suck you in!

srezsnyak said...

HOORAY to you! I really like Facebook, but I understand and admire your self-control. It's funny, I was literally thinking today: "Man, Becky should get a FB account, I wonder why she doesn't?"
How hysterical that you wrote this just yesterday.

Good for you. And if my wife sees this post, it'll just be more ammo to use against me for getting rid of it totally. She actually wants to get rid of our internet completely, and she's almost convinced me... but I don't know, that's tough these days. The library is only open so late...

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I love Facebook and it only takes a minute or so to type out your thoughts. I check Kristeen's and Erin's and your blog first then I go to Facebook. It does not take long but I really enjoy all the comments that everyone has to say. It is like reading the morning paper but only the parts about the people I truly care about. nancy

Erin said...

I totally agree with Nancy -- I like to pop in to see what is going on, and I also love seeing pictures of everyone's kids. I don't usually use Facebook chat, so after I read through messages and look at a few pictures, I'm done with it -- takes maybe 10 minutes!

Becky said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. Unfortunately some don't seem to understand that I do not have the same relationship with the internet that you do. For me it would not be 10 minutes, I know this thanks to myspace. I wasted hours of my life on that site, and not just when I first signed up! I do not want to get sucked into something like this again at such a critical time in my life. While I appreciate your encouragement it take an immense amount of self control NOT to sign up. I don't really want to relate this to alcoholism because that would be a bit extreme. Maybe it is more like this: Colin is a great sleeper in the car. Me telling another mom to just throw her kid in the car at nap time and make that two hour drive does not make it easier for her if she knows her child does not sleep in the car. Same car, different relationships. I appreciate that you want me to enjoy this with you but I simply can not do it right now.

Daisy and Ryan said...

I totally get it.

I have thought a number of times...Becky should get on fb. But that's partly b/c I'm always on fb! Ha. I don't use the chat, and it's not that I stay on forever (though it IS so easy, and I'm often on longer than I mean to be...but I'm getting better, esp now that Aiden is down to one nap and demands my attention when he's awake). I keep it open most of the time, just like my email, and peek whenever I walk by. I've found it to be such a great way to get back in touch with old friends from high school and back home - and a great way to STAY in touch with college/grad school friends that aren't nearby. It's come in very handy when I need some suggestion about something - I've posted many mommy/baby questions in my status and have gotten great suggestions from people (that I'm close with and that surprised me by posting). And I love looking at others' photos and posting mine. It IS useful for a lot of things. (And useless sometimes, too.)

But I totally get why you are putting it off. It can easily take a big chunk of time away - whether you have it free or not, whether you mean to let it or not. Whenever you do hop on board, let me know! I'll definitely friend you. ;)