Thursday, May 20, 2010

Colin is 22 months old.

Somehow I got a wee bit mixed up in my mind and thought I was supposed to be writing the Colin is 23 months old post! With Colin so close to two now I rarely give his age in months and instead always say "he will be 2 in July", I suppose that has my months a little mixed up since I don't use them as often.  I'm starting to think that these monthly posts will become quarterly posts after Colin is 2 (e.g. you'll get a "Colin is 2 1/4 years old", instead of 28 months). I''m trying to think ahead and realize I just can't keep this kind of schedule up with multiple children and what I do for Colin I would like to be able to do for the rest of them. (Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not giving you any hints, I am not pregnant now nor am I ready to be pregnant yet.  (Personally I'm voting for Sean to carry the next one to term. )What I'm doing here is taking a page out of my mothers play book and attempting to plan more than 3 inches in front of my face. I used to be better at this, lately not so much)

I digress.
 The only 'official b-day' picture of the blog. We were busy. Colin is doing the 'tension face' but I caught the tail end so that it looks like a big smile.

Colin turned 22 months old this week. Here is what our boy was up to this month:


Sleeping: Still perfect all night long. Typically 11 hrs. But now, all of a sudden a 3 hour nap is a 'typical' event for Colin. I would say about 50% of his naps this month have been 3 hrs long. He goes down anywhere between 12 and 1.  This has allowed me to be a bit more productive this month and I love it. My apartment is cleaner, my school work is getting done. Things are good. This has started to shift his am wake up from a tolerable 7am to a less tolerable 6:30am, but I won't complain too much, some of my mommy friends have 5am risers and I think they would kill for a 6:30 wake up call.  I'm not sure what is causing this sudden sleepiness but I'm liking it. Colin sleeps more in a day now than he ever he did as a newborn!

The eye is still healing!
Likes:

  • Baseball!: Wow, Colin is the baseball kid now. We got him a bat this month and the boy would sleep with it if I let him. It is hollow plastic covered with soft fabric so he can't do any damage but he is getting good at swinging it properly. He rarely makes contact with a pitched ball without help but he is pretty good off of a tee. Also, after watching a few more innings of the real game here and there Colin has begun to attempt to throw like a pitcher, with a high leg kick. Generally this means the ball goes completely hay-wire but it is still adorable to watch (working on getting it on video).
  • Basketball: Just to show that we aren't attempting to completely bias him toward one sport, I fashioned Colin a basketball hoop out of an empty oatmeal can and a piece of cardboard. Leo has a small basketball-hoop-like toy and Lukas has full size and kid size hoops, so Colin has become very interested in the idea of putting balls into hoops as well.
  •  The playground. If Colin is awake, it is pretty much a given that once every 30 minutes he looks at me and says "playground?" while nodding his head. There are quite a few different playgrounds that we can go to in the area which is nice, but chasing my little daredevil can be a bit stressful at times. We tend to go once and day, if we are too busy during the day, Sean will take him out for a few minutes before dinner to allow me to take a quick break. Usually I have a specific chore to attend to, like vacuuming or dinner but occasionally I get to just breathe for a minute. 
  • The subway. Colin rides into the city with me sometimes when I have to go in for a meeting with my thesis adviser. I pass him off to Sean and they either play in the city and wait for me or head back home (depending on the weather and how long I plan on taking). Colin really enjoys riding the train and will sign the word train incessantly while we approach the station, and wait and ride.
  • Making decisions. Yep, hello toddler! Colin likes being able to decide what he is going to do or wear or eat or whatever! It makes no difference how trivial the decision, he wants to have a say. This can be a bit trying at times but I'm becoming more skilled in giving the illusion of a decision and knowing when to 'not sweat the small stuff.'  He wants to wear his dress shoes (with a track suit) to do laundry, not something I will argue about (again), he put shoes on and I'm learning to be happy with that.
  • "Helping" and "Doing". It is time to consciously build in extra time for everything because Colin likes to "do it [himself]" From buckling the car seat, to velcro-ing his shoes, to zipping his coat, little toddler hands are not very skilled at these activities yet he wants to do it. So we take 400 times as long to get into the car! No big deal really were it not for the fact that I'm standing only a few feet away from moving vehicles most of the time! (I <3 street parking!)
  • Stamps on his hands. While we were at MyGym he started getting the logo (a monkey) stamped on each hand after class (the stamp was used to discount the parking and kids wanted stamps too). He would talk about it for days afterward and leading up to MyGym. Since we aren't going anymore, I'm going to have to find something that I can use at home.. I'm hoping to use this for potty training at some point since he seems to love it so much, but I'm not pushing that envelope yet. 
 Colin and Leo playing with magnetic letters. Colin is telling me this one is an "x'
    Dislikes:
    • Having messy hands: Colin will now say "Yucky. washcloth!" whenever he gets the least little crumb on his hands. This is amusing since he used to violently hate the washcloth!! The stamp on the back of his hand is an exception to this rule.
    • Washing his hair. It used to be rinsing, now he is generally okay with the rinsing but will fight me while I wash his hair. I have no idea what the deal is, other than it is a control issue.
    • The mere mention of 'pee-pee on the potty'. We have really tried to not even discuss potty use but he still says it sometimes so I try to follow his lead. Unfortunately, he gets really nervous if you even suggest trying to use the potty. It isn't worth it. We can try again later.
    • Having his arms in straps. Colin now immediately pulls his arms/shoulders out of the straps on his stroller and high chair, he tries to do it in the car seat as well but this isn't allowed obviously so we are working on helping him distinguish when it is okay to pull his arms out and when it isn't. I always tell him, in the car seat straps are important for safety and therefore he has to keep his arms in (once he is fully buckled he can't get his arms out but he will attempt to remove them before I finish buckling them in). I often use the phrase 'non-negotiable' with him, and hearing him try to repeat it is really funny. Of course I realize this word is probably too complex for him to fully understand but this has never stopped me from using complex language with him before.
    New and Notable things
    • Power switches on toys. I'm not sure when this started but it was more than a few months ago... Colin understands the concept of a power switch and now will turn things over to find out why it isn't working. He has become very good at switching his toys on and off without help. 
    • Somersaults.  I have yet to get this on video but early this month Colin started doing somersaults. Totally accidentally, and unprovoked at first. He did it while wearing the vecro-pads on his hand and would stretch his arms out to the sides palms forward, and then seemingly try to flip the pad over by bending completely over on putting his head on the ground. He lost his balance and flipped over onto his back. He was so pleased with the result that he kept doing it and will now do it on command. (side note: I'm way behind on posting videos..they are a pain to upload but I'll get to them soon)
    • "hold you mommy" This is Colin's new favorite phrase, I think he started saying it last month but now he says it over 100 times a day. I think he means "Hold ME, Mommy" but it is so cute to hear him ask to hold me that I don't correct him. Colin still struggles with the a greater need for reassurance than most children seem to require, but he is getting better every month. This month I was at the mall with him and he wanted to ride the "round and round and round' (i.e. the Merry go round). This was a miniature one with three horses (no room for Mommy), that you loaded your dollar into and got a 45 second ride. He was so excited by the prospect of riding it I decided it would be better to get it over with than to make him look at it the whole time he was eating lunch. After I put the money in there was a LOUD beeping that startled even me, I suppose to remind me to push START. He got the look in his eye that he was terrified but I quickly plastered a smile on my face and round and round he went. He stayed on the whole time and I viewed this as a pretty big deal. As soon as I saw his face I thought it was over.
    • Teeth: Still no molars through the gums... I don't know what the deal is. However, at some point this month Colin chipped his front tooth slightly. He has had issues with his two front top teeth since they came in. The enamel came off small sections of each tooth. I think he did it with his bottom teeth, but the dentist we talked to about it said it isn't that uncommon and doesn't have to be caused but an injury. One small section within the section where enamel was lost was just missing one day (way before the black eye occurred). I'm not sure how it happened but I would guess he did it by biting on his sippy cup spout. He likes to bite down and then pull it hard out of his mouth, so if that section was already weak this might have dislodged it.  I'm going to have to get him into the dentist but I want to find one in the neighborhood for him. I got some recommendations and am testing them out on myself before I bring him. (I need to go anyway). I'm sure they won't do anything to fix it since it is a baby tooth, but we'll have it looked at anyway. Since most kids don't loose these teeth until 6 or 7, so he'll be stuck with it for a while.
     If you click on this picture you'll see the damage.
       

        1 comment:

        Anonymous said...

        He is such a beautiful boy! Handsome is probably the word but at this age to me he is still beautiful! The expressions on his face are just priceless. Oh. Kristeen had problems with her teeth because of her asthma medication. I took her to a dentist who specializes in small children. He was a royal JERK and that is being kind! He would not allow me stay with her! She came back to me hiccuping from crying! That was a hard lesson for me. Never let a dentist tell me to leave my child. It still haunts me!