Friday, June 4, 2010

For the love of Peanut Butter...

Let me start off by saying, I'm not a huge Peanut Butter lover. PB&J is not my favorite sandwich and I trade peanut butter cup eggs for snickers or milky way eggs every Easter. However, I do delight in cooking and baking with peanut butter and for one reason or another this week was 'peanut butter for dinner week' (ok I guess it was just Monday and Tuesday but I'm taking artistic license). Good friends Julie, Matt and Annabelle stayed with us on Memorial Day and after racking my brain to decide what to serve them for dinner I came up with a recipe I had made once before from A Year of Slow Cooking called Asian Peanut Butter Pork.  You can click through the link to get the whole recipe but essentially a pork tenderloin is cooked with onions, peanut butter and brown sugar, with pretty scrumptious results. I served ours with egg noodles and a green salad but I think it would be better suited for a stir fry (I didn't feel like stir frying and I'm not a huge fan of the stir fry, but if you are go for it!)
Then on Tuesday Erin, Sam and Bed (I promise I will post pictures of these visits soon) came down to spend the day and I found myself scratching my head at dinner time about what I would serve the adults.  Since I had most of a tenderloin of pork leftover from the night before I re-purposed it  by cutting it up and stirring it into some peanut butter noddles along with some of the leftover 'sauce' from the crock pot.  This recipe I've hacked from a source on allrecipes.com to make it work for us and I've made it often since it is a super quick meal.

1/4 cup natural peanut butter ( I assume regular would work, but I don't know)
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (I use low sodium)
1Tbsp Sesame oil

Stir it together, it will look odd and at first but keep stirring it will come together nicely (if the PB wont stir give it 30 secs in the microwave) and mix with noodles, I prefer thick rice noodles myself.  It makes about two servings, more if you are pairing it with the recipe above as the sauce/drippings from that helps stretch it.

While the adults enjoyed it, I think Sam and Ben may have enjoyed it more. Colin was insanely jealous that I was feeding it to them (I pulled out the scraps to try to keep them off Erin's plate so she could eat in peace) but refused to open his mouth to try it (yep we are there now).

Then yesterday I saw a dip recipe on another blog called Fix Me a Snack that mixes 1Tbsp of natural peanut butter and 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt. When Colin finished his first two courses of lunch and was looking for something else I remembered this and gave it a whirl. It is REALLY good. I had to make more and cut up another apple because Colin literally put his arms around his dishes and wouldn't share with me anymore (he has never done that before).  (Now that I look at the blog I can't find the original recipe, so I may be giving credit to the wrong person... oh well its a good read anyway.)

Since both Erin and Julie asked for the recipes I figured more people would be interested in this too. If you are looking for a peanut butter fix this week, try one of these recipes you won't be sorry.

3 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I typically do not eat PB&J sandwiches, I actually do not eat sandwiches much at all but being pregnant I tend to eat PB&J at least 3-4 days a week. It fills me up and I feel gives me some good protein. I will be excited in the fall when I go back to my normal lunches and have some variety. Perhaps I will give these a whirl but my work year is over and I have a break.

Julie said...

thanks becky! the pork was delicious!

Erin said...

I agree, it was delicious! I made the crock pot pork when my parents were here for my swearing-in weekend, and it was a hit! I tossed some cooked rice noodles adn some blanched broccoli florettes in the sauce from the crockpot, and it was a complete meal!