Saturday, June 12, 2010

It didn't occur to me...

I must confess that it never occurred to me that part of Colin's eating deficiencies (mainly the fact that he doesn't seem to eat as much as other kids his age) was likely caused by this juice consumption. Since juice stopped being a part of his daily diet, his food consumption has gone up significantly. To the point that he will run to the kitchen and ask to be put in his booster seat to eat (getting him to sit and eat previously was almost always a battle). At first I just thought this was one of his short term eating spurts that he has occasionally gone through, but since it has been over a week and it hasn't changed I think it might be the juice. While reading How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much the author mentioned that toddlers sometimes prefer to drink their calories and the light bulb went off. Of course! I was filling up on drinkable calories, why wouldn't I consider that he was doing it as well?

3 comments:

Julie said...

i like the new background!

Erin said...

I like the new design, too! Like mother like son, guess Colin was preferring to drink his meals, too. Ahem, sweetened drink lady! :)

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I think it could be easy to overlook since he didn't seem like a big eater to you and then stopped to make you think, "hmm what is different that would cause a decrease in appetite." But I guess it does make sense. I would not have thought of juice as a "meal filler" but that is great information to store for future use.

How has he done with less juice-is he protesting other liquids?