Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Overnight Oatmeal

I recently looked up the copyright laws and leaned that individual recipes in cookbooks aren't protected by the copyright and so I can't be sued for posting one. I have modified this recipe slightly from the original, but the source is Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two: For the Small Slow Cooker.


This recipe is supposed to work best in a 1.5 quart slow cooker. I do it in my 4 quart, and generally prefer to double it.

3/4 cup steel-cut oats
1/2 t apple pie spice
pinch of salt
2 3/4 cups water
1/2 cup half and half (or evaporated skim milk if you prefer)
6-8 rings of dried apple, chopped (Sean prefers it with one whole granny smith apple chopped, but I think its better with dried, if you don't have dried, use a regular one)
a handful of raisins.


Combine everything in your slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hrs or high for 3-4. My slow cooker only needs 4.5 hours on low and if I do it on high it doesn't cook the oats all the way. If you have a normal slow cooker you can do this overnight and have yummy oatmeal in the morning.

I like to add more half and half (I'm crazy like that) and some brown sugar..mmmmm yum.

3 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Oh Brandon loves steel cut oats---I will totally try this recipe.

Elaine

Daisy and Ryan said...

I'm not crazy about oatmeal, but I do like steel cut oats. I've been wanting to try a recipe like this, cooking the steel cut oats overnight. My small cooker doesn't have the feature to change to warm once the time is up, and I'm worried my 6qt would be way too big... Hmmm... I wonder if it would work.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I read this to brandon last night and he was like "can you make that for me tonight?" I told him that we didn't have any 1/2 and 1/2 but that I would get it at the store. So I will try it tonight.