Friday, September 3, 2010

Jane Green: Promises to Keep, Review / Warning



I've been reading a bit more lately in an attempt to cure my insomnia. Putting my school work away a full hour before I expect to be asleep, carrying out my bedtime routine and then reading for a while. This was Sean's idea and it seems to be working. Since I know a few of my friends are Jane Green fans like me, I wanted to write this and give you the warning I didn't get.  Jane Green comes out with a new book every summer it seems. Pre-Colin I would actually know the release date and have the book pre-ordered so it arrived as soon as it was printed. This year I didn't notice until Amazon sent me a 'books you might be interested in' e-mail (sucker!) I actually contemplated ordering the hard cover since I have many of her books displayed on our bookshelf but ended up going with the kindle edition. I wonder if this was my downfall. I didn't get to read the jacket, I had no idea what was coming. I am very conflicted about this book. It was in equal measures the best and worst book I've read in a while. I'm not really one to cry over a book, generally I just don't pick up those kind of books and when I do I know its coming and can stonewall it. Talk about being blindsided! It is no exaggeration to say that I cried for most of the last 1/3 of the book. That is a lot of emotional torment! It hit me from all angles, as a mother (particularly of a adoring son), as a wife (although particularly due to the married with children aspect) as a sister, and as a daughter, this book left no heart string un-pulled. I expected a light summer read, I did NOT get that. If I knew what was coming I probably wouldn't have ever picked it up, or at least I would have prepared myself a little better for it. I don't want to give away too much for people who want to read it and be tortured by it (I've heard there are people like that...) but be warned... this one is going to mess you up.. particularly if you have young kids.


If you are new to Jane Green and would like to read something a little more typical of her style (a la a light fun summer read) I suggest Dune Road or The Beach House .

4 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I will check her out. I am looking forward to reading non-baby/pregnancy type books.

Erin said...

Reading schmeding. The only reading I do these days are Curious George books.

Kristeen said...

Thanks for the warning... I saw that book and got excited about a new Jane Green book, but I'll steer clear. Can't handle the baby stuff.

Remember the Marion Keyes book that blindsided us? I still get upset over that one. Chick-lit is not supposed to be sad!

Sarah B. said...

I have never heard of this author.. You have made me very curious about this book. I will have to pick it up since I am looking for a new book to read.