Thursday, September 23, 2010

Something to this...

I recently picked up a copy of SuperBaby: 12 Ways to Give Your Child a Head Start in the First 3 Years and have begun reading it. When I first started seeing the announcements for this books release I was immediately turned off by the title. However, I kept feeling like I was seeing it everywhere (the publishers were apparently doing a good job advertising it) and after reading a few of the reviews on amazon, (and being in a situation where I needed to spend more money to get free shipping, combined with the fact that I had a store credit) I went ahead and ordered it.  I am only on chapter two, but chapter one talks a lot about treating your child with respect. I mostly felt like I was already doing that but I read through it anyway. Today I was able to apply this lesson in a situation I wouldn't have thought to before and wow did I get immediate results.
Colin has been fighting his nap lately. Not really outwardly fighting it, but he just will sit in his crib and talk to himself for up to two hours (he would probably go longer but after two hours I give up on the nap). This has happend maybe a half dozen times in the last two months, but he was gearing up to do it for the second time this week. Generally I ignore him but will occasionally put on my 'stern mommy' voice and go in and bark something like "lay down, stop talking, go to sleep" then I re-adjust his blanket and leave. Having done that three times already and seeing that we were already an hour and 45 minutes into nap time and he was still talking I decided to take a different approach and try to "connect with respect". This time I went in and said "Colin, I see you are having some trouble falling asleep today. It is very important that you take a nap because you are sick and you had school today and need your rest. Please lay down, close your eyes and try very hard to go to sleep. I love you" and I left. I didn't hear another peep out of him.  Go figure. I never would have expected that to work, to be honest I almost expected him to laugh at me.
There are definitely parts of this book that make me think the author is crazy, but apparently I'm learning something anyway.  I'll let you know what I think of the rest once I finish it, and since I have the hard copy (no kindle edition yet) I am happy to loan it out if people are interested in reading it.

Here is a totally unrelated photo of my little slugger:

3 comments:

Kristeen said...

Hmm, I think that your tactic was right on. I have a tendency to bark too, but working with adolescents has transformed that part of me, so maybe lil' ones are the same. I agree that the title is (completely) off putting... I don't need to have a superbaby, it sounds like too much pressure!

Anonymous said...

This is cool. How very often we forget, and fall into the good old stern face and tone (which is really easier). I love the picture of Colin by the gate going to school, he is so grownup, our big boy. GG

Crystal said...

That is really very interesting! I have to say, I talk to Dexter like a person more often then I'd like to admit. When he's driving me crazy I literally say something to him like "Dexter, please go lay down and leave mommy alone", and he often listens better then when I'm yelling at him. I also cracked up over "needing to spend $25 to get free shipping". I buy so much on Amazon, and really try to avoid paying shipping at all costs!