Monday, October 18, 2010

Colin is 2 1/4 Years old

Colin picks the perfect pumpkin

We went pumpkin picking on Colin's 2 and 1/4 'birthday'. It wasn't planned that way, but it did make for some cute 'birthday' photos.  Enjoy!

Sleeping:
  • Still awesome overnight. He generally sleeps from about 8 until 6:45ish. Very rarely do we have to deal with a night time wake up and then it is usually around 5am. He is so used to the game at this point that he lays back down as soon as we come into the room. The 'problem' area is starting to be naps. If Colin lets himself fall asleep he generally sleeps 2.5-3 hrs. However, there are days when he will just sit in the crib and talk for up to 2 hrs (that's as long as I've let it go). Some days he will talk for an hour and then fall asleep... it is really unpredictable and frustrating. We've tried putting him down later and earlier and neither is a magic bullet. I'm guessing he is gearing up to drop the nap but it seems very early for this, and if he only slept for 40 mins I would be more inclined to think he doesn't need it but, 3 hrs? doesn't seem like a kid who is ready to drop a nap to me.. I expect this will get worse before it gets better...I've been considering waking him up at the 2 hr mark to see if that will regulate things, but 1) he is a total crab fest if you wake him up and 2) these long naps never interfere with bed time, in fact he is easier to put to bed on long nap days than on no nap/short nap days.
He took pumpkin picking very seriously. This one was either too heavy or too dirty.

Likes:
  • School: You'll find this doubly listed right now. Colin has a bit of a love/hate relationship with school. He loves school by about 9:10am, but from 7:00-9:10 he generally is not a fan. Once he settles in he loves it and doesn't want to leave when I pick him up. He is really starting to come out of his shell. His teacher told me he is really talking a lot more now.
  • The cats, Griffin in particular: Griffin is extremely tolerant, and will allow Colin to pet and lay on him extended periods of time. Colin just eats it up! It isn't uncommon for me to check on Colin when he has been quiet for too long, only to find him and Griffin snuggling on a pillow.  If you ask him what he is doing he will tell you he is 'pepping Gif-fin'.
  • Lollipops. Now that Colin is two I'm following "Todd's Law" about sweets. Basically he is allowed to have things when the universe provides them but I don't provide them at home. So when the doctor, or hair dresser offers him a lollipop I allow him to have it. If he has been there recently he will ask repeatedly if he can go see "Dr. Ella" or "get a haircut", but what he really wants is to get the lollipop.We do have some organic lollipops at home (which taste the same they just don't have all the art colors), but he doesn't know this and I rarely give him one. He has to do something pretty special to get that (or need a serious distraction).
  • Playgrounds: For the first time ever Colin ran full speed away from me.  I had unloaded the groceries into our cart and then unloaded him. He usually holds onto the cart on the sidewalk and my hand in the road while we push the cart home, but on this particular day we were parked near the public playground and while I was adjusting some bags he took off and never looked back. I called out to him and got no response. Since he had never done this before I didn't think he would get far before realizing I wasn't next to him and come right back. Nope! Of course I had to follow him (he was completely safe since this area is about 90% fenced from the road and my back was to 5% of that unfenced area)  and I was laughing a little (I know I know bad reaction) at his new found sense of freedom and his total delight in his own naughtiness, but when I caught him took him straight home and we had a long talk about running away. I tell you all this to highlight that playgrounds now trump separation anxiety/insecurity issues and that is a huge deal. Our boy is spreading his wings a bit.
  • Traveling and staying in hotels: This boy is always happy when we stay in a hotel. The way he runs down the hallway to find the elevator it just precious. 

    Dislikes:
    • School. To be fair it isn't school that is the problem, but the fact that mommy doesn't stay at school. However, since hitting rock bottom, he has gotten progressively better and the director of the program sends me a half dozen pictures while he is there to show me how well he is doing so I know he is enjoying himself. I am beyond grateful that the school has been so flexible with him. I imagine it would only be worse next year.
    • Meat. Still!  Ugh.. I'm almost ready to give up trying, this is just nuts! The few things I could get him to eat before are no longer possible... when I try to hide it, he just stops eating entirely. I have no idea how he knows!?!
    • Katie's boyfriend Chris. For one reason or another, the mere mention of this boys presence has Colin in tears. I have no idea what it is. At first I just thought it was just that he was an unfamiliar teen male, but no, Lauren had a friend stop by and the first words out of Colin's mouth after meeting him were "I like Harvey". No idea what this one is about.
    He still looks 'little' to me in this picture

    New Things:
    • Teeth: His final 2yr molar (his upper left) is through. It made an appearance about the same time Colin hit rock bottom at pre-school. The two things may have been related but who knows.. 
    • We are hearing new and more complex sentences all the time now. For example: "Miss Tahsula, Mommy came back!" or " I want Daddy go to work instead" or "That's not a good one, it's heavy" (talking about pumpkins)
    the end

        5 comments:

        Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

        Glad to hear that school is getting better.

        Looks like you had a great time picking pumpkins.

        Hope to see him as soon as Nolan begins to sleep through the night--this point we are back to 2-3 hours as our longest stretch.

        JJ said...

        Remember "your" comment about Uncle Pauls friend..."I don't like his face"...things that make you go hmmmmm

        Kristeen said...

        That picture of him looking back in the field is GORGEOUS!! You should blow it up poster size! :)

        Julie said...

        i agree with kristeen, i love that pic too!

        one time, annabelle talked to herself in her crib for an hour before she passed out for a nap! i haven't worried about it too much because it doesn't seem to affect her bed time.

        btw, colin still IS little:) even though he looks like a big boy at times, he is still your little baby!!! (can you tell that i am entering denial myself?)

        JJ said...

        ps "you" know what comes after the "perfect pumpkin" the perfect xmas tree!! :)