Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Small Buisness Saturday

I just found out about this now (probably because I'm not on facebook) and I had to pop on to tell everyone about it because I think it is awesome.  We all know that this weekend people will be getting some SERIOUS shopping done! This new movement, called Small Business Saturday, is asking that instead of shopping exclusively at big box stores this weekend,  head on over and reinvest some of that money in your own community by shopping at a small independently owned businesses. 

 If you don't feel like going over to the other website (the title of the post is a link) I'll retype some of their facts here:
  • For every year in the last decade 60-80% of new jobs were created by small buisnesses.
  • For every $100 spent at small local business $68 gets returned to the community.

Need more incentive? If you have an American express card you can register it and receive a $25 credit if you spend $25 or more at a small independently owned business on Saturday and use your American Express Card!! Sign up here.  I'm a little confused if all 'eligible merchants' ("any independently owned small businesses that accept the American Express Card") are 'participating merchants' but I'm looking for clarification.

I thought this was a great idea so I wanted to pass it along.  No one is asking for exclusivity, just a little love for the small businesses.

2 comments:

srezsnyak said...

Just posted the link on Facebook, spreading the word!!

Great idea, didn't hear of it before now though.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I plan to go to my cloth diaper store to buy a few things b/c they are having a version of black friday.