Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sing-a-long.

I often catch Colin singing little songs to himself. Sometimes I can figure out what he is trying to sing (e.g. "Where is thumbkin") but other times I can't make it out, and usually assume it is non sense or something they sing at school. He seems to have my ability to pick up music, (Sean often refers to me as a human jukebox although I think that is a gross exaggeration) I wasn't much older than he is now when I held my first impromptu concert in the middle of a store singing "Tomorrow" at top volume. A few days ago I heard him singing from the car seat, and at first thought he was singing his own song, but soon realized that he was singing along with the radio. What was playing you ask?  "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry! It is quite amusing and disturbing listening to a 2 yr old try to mimic the lyrics "...put your hands on me in my skin tight jeans, be your teenage dream tonight." I guess that just shows you 1) how over played that song is and 2) how much we are in the car (I don't usually play the radio in the house). Tonight as I was getting him ready for the bath I once again start hearing a song that doesn't click right away. I let him go on to try to figure it out and he was singing "This time may-be I'll be...1... 2" (instead of "this time maybe I'll be bullet proof" Bulletproof by La Roux).

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about his exposure to these themes or not...Obviously he doesn't understand the lyrics, but I can think of some awkward situations ahead of us if actually repeats them clearly.  But frankly there are only so many times I can listen to "Baby Signing Time". Besides Colin likes upbeat, fast music with a good beat! His first favorite song was Just Dance by Lady Gaga. Any suggestions for some age appropriate, upbeat tunes that won't cause me to loose my mind would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I bought Laurie Berkner for Nolan for Halloween (I know it has nothing to do with Halloween but the only Halloween gifts at the store were super lame). It is funny because Brandon and I love the cd. We catch ourselves singing the tunes all day. Brandon actually looked up (on his own) about her other cds but I said I think we should wait to buy more until Nolan requests it or else we may get sick of her songs way before he starts liking them. I am sure you know of her but hey I am new to the parenting game. =)

(none related...I am hoping to update my blog but Nolan has an ear infection and got shots this wk so busy wk).

Erin said...

The boys are OBSESSED with Katy Perry. And Ben also sings loudly and clearly, "When you put your hands on me in my skin tight jeans ..." They have actually made friends with older guys (at the gym!) based on a mutual love of Katy Perry ...

JJ said...

Mama Mia....?? seriously Bec..."you" know how varied the music was in "our" house...anything from show-tunes to Roger Whitikar..so "I" just keep mixing it up...who cares.Tho NYC needs a country station. :)

Daisy and Ryan said...

One of Aiden's favorite "kids" music cds is Seeds Family Worship "Seeds of Courage." We also have Seeds of Praise and Seeds of Faith, but we play the Courage one quite a bit. I like it, and so does Camden. Catchy - and they learn some Bible verses! The songs are just the verse(s) that each song is based on. Sounds like it wouldn't be all that great, but it is. Aiden asks for it all the time. Also, when you buy a cd, it comes with two of the same - one for you, one to share with a friend. Nice concept. (The whole idea of spreading "seeds.") http://www.seedsfamilyworship.net/

Other favorites of his...Toby Mac (not kiddie at all, and it's another favorite of everyone), Michael Buble, and Playing for Change. If you haven't heard of Playing for Change - def check that out! http://www.playingforchange.com/ I think I posted the Stand By Me song a while back (like a year) on my blog - it's on youtube. Wow! We love this cd - all of us. (Comes with a dvd of most songs, as well.)

He has his share of kiddie songs (not too many, really - mostly ones I had from when Camden was younger), but we let him listen mostly to what we like, too. We listen to a lot of Christian and then some other stuff - but most of it is appropriate. We have to watch what we play b/c of Camden, too, esp at his age! But if it has a good beat, he loves it.