Sunday, February 27, 2011

Adventure day.

I purchased some playground passes for an indoor play space back in October. I underestimated how busy we would be with Colin in school so we didn't use any of them in the fall, and then I got pregnant and even the idea of trekking into Manhattan with Colin made me sleepy. So we just got to use the first one on Friday. Unfortunately the fine print was unclear and I am not allowed to bring other little friends along so now we have to figure out how to use four more passes in the next 7 weeks. I originally planned on going on Monday but it snowed so I canceled and rescheduled for Friday. Friday comes and when I saw the torrential down pours out my window I knew we couldn't take the subway, but I didn't want to cancel again.  So I decided to brave the wild world that is driving into downtown Manhattan and off we went. It took us a lot longer to get there than I had expected (the GPS predicted 20 mins, I figured at least 45... it took 90), so we didn't arrive until 11:30. I was not expecting to find that all the street parking in that area is reserved only for commercial vehicles so I had to park in a lot ($26!! for an hour and half!!) needless to say I was pretty annoyed by the time we actually arrived.  Colin was a great sport in the car but was super clingy at the playground. He warmed up a bit when we found the "basketball hoop" but still kept pretty close to me. He started resting his head on my legs after an hour or so (of just playing with the basketball hoop mind you, the room was full of fun things but this was all he was interested in) and I figured it was time to head out, it was nearly 1 and he hadn't had lunch yet so I was pushing it big time as it was.  He makes it home awake having eaten a few crackers but not his sandwich, and the entire ride home he is saying "Mommy I'm really tired". I get him on the potty and in the crib quickly and he passes out. I didn't notice it at the time but he drank the entire contents of a full sippy cup on the way home. An hour later he is crying hysterically and I go in to figure out why and he isn't stopping when I talk to him and try to tell him it is still nap time. Finally I notice that he is SOAKING wet (literally I think I could have rung out his jeans there was so much urine, front and back soaked all the way to the ankles) and I pull him from the crib and change his clothes but he is so upset I don't want to try to change his sheets to get him back in the crib so I just pick him up and lay down with him on my bed. Within seconds he is back asleep, but he only stays that way for about 40 mins. I figure the nap is lost and move on with our day.. I swear he must have said "Mommy I'm really tired" about 20 more times. I kept asking him if he wanted to lay down but he didn't.. To wrap up a long story quickly Sean notices that he is warm at bath time and we take his temp...yep 100.9! Well sheesh the poor kid is sending me signals all day that he isn't feeling 100% and I'm not picking up on it. He was overly clingy, not interested in playing, not eating much at all, drinking a lot of water, sleeping so solidly he wet the bed... someone nominate me for parent of the year award! I am sure he wasn't feverish at nap time because he was laying on me and his fevers are pretty unmistakable, even just a mild 99.5 and he is hotter to the touch.

Anyway, not the best adventure we have had but here are a couple pictures I took.


Just taking it all in..

Hindsight is 20-20! It's obvious from his face he isn't feeling well.

Running up and down a ramp for about 10 seconds before returning the the basketball hoop.

He dribbles before he shoots.

Slam dunk!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Hope he is feeling better soon!

AbbeM said...

Poor little guy! Sorry the adventure didn't work; hopefully better next time! I hope he feels better soon.

Julie said...

wow! that sounds rough. fine print, long drive, expensive parking, wetting the bed, and a sick kid. sprinkle that with a little mommy guilt and jump off a bridge.

i think every mom has overlooked signals that their child is giving them. i know i have. it feels terrible when you finally realize what they were trying to tell you all along, but honestly, kids move on. he is so over it:)

i would nominate you for mom of the year anyway:)