Thursday, June 2, 2011

Our "new" car. A Mazda5 Review

Not actually our car...
I have a few blog posts that I either started and never finished or mentioned but never started. I'm going to try to catch up on these before baby bee arrives and changes the household dynamic for a while.  The oldest is the post about our new car (which we purchased last July!)  This car has been met with a very positive reception from everyone we discuss it with so I wanted to also sing its praises here. I absolutely LOVE it... Sean isn't as big of a fan, I think the mini-van aspect was something he wasn't ready for (his ideal car is still his old 2 door ford mustang). I don't have any hang ups about driving a mini-van, but understand people who do (and really its not a true mini-van). It is marketed as a 'mini-mini-van' but is essentially a hybrid of a hatchback and a mini van. It has the same frame as the Mazda 3 (which is a sedan) so the outside dimensions of the car are pretty compact. This is perfect for NYC where parking spots can be tight! It has seating for 6 but the back two seats can be folded down for storage. Basically with the seats up, a pack and play and small umbrella stroller will fit in the trunk space but that is about it (for non parents, I think one small hard sided carry on, or maybe three small duffel bags would fit). With the seats down there is tons of cargo space (but only seating for 4). We essentially ride with the seats permanently down but I really like the option of having extra passenger space when we need it. Particularly because we are about to install another car seat, which would otherwise mean no extra passengers in a traditional vehicle. Unlike most SUV's it gets about 30 mpg most of the time which I think is just amazing. There are a few quirks that have taken some getting used to, for example the brights push on instead of pull on which means I activate them often while using my turn signal, and the wipers are very difficult, but those are minor issues. I love that I have climate control with a thermostat! I love that I have keyless entry with the button on the key. I love that it has two sliding read doors! Perfect for getting Colin in and out of the car easily. I really am in love with the car (by the way her name is Calliope)
On our recent vacation we traveled with Lauren and Katie 14 hrs down to Myrtle beach, and to be honest they both preferred sitting all the way in the back because it was easier to sleep than in the bucket seat in the second row. Admittedly the seats are a oddly uncomfortable after a long period of time, not something you notice until you've been sitting there for over an hour but that is a little strange.. I can't even put my finger on why they aren't comfortable because they look like they would be. We had a roof rack installed and purchased a soft sided waterproof roof top luggage carrier, it was the perfect solution to our limited cargo room while carrying extra passengers (we put one back seat down and left the other up for a passenger).
Anyway, if you are considering a bigger vehicle because you are outgrowing a sedan, I highly recommend the Mazda 5. We (okay maybe it should say I...) love ours, and we got a great deal with Hertz Rent2Buy!

3 comments:

Kristeen said...

After seeing your car in MB, I started looking into it because I LOVED it. But, it doesn't come in AWD and that's my one requirement. :( That would have made it perfect!

Jen C. said...

YAY! We love our Mazda's too! I have a CX-7 and Anthony has the Mazda3 5-door. What sold us was the included bluetooth feature.

Erica said...

Chaz is a fan of this car as well, except that he is leaning toward full sz minivan, because it will fit a full sheet of plywood (not on everyone's list, I know). He also rode in one as a rental and liked it, and likes that it comes in manual. We are looking to replace Chaz's truck (even though it has a full back seat) and not the prius, which means whatever we pick will be what he drives. He is considering the subaru outback (manual) SUV, a few used wagons, and also the older model honda minivan. None of them have great fuel economy... but they are all better than the truck, and we will still have the prius for most of our (doggie-less) driving.