Sunday, September 4, 2011

So far so good.

We are just over two weeks into Meghan's life and so far things have been a fairly smooth transition.  I won't have both kids by myself all day until after the long weekend so that will be the real test but these last two weeks have gone better than I expected.
One of the few pictures with her eyes open. So far they are dark blue like Colin's were but the appear to be getting lighter in the center.

Colin has adjusted like a champ! He is totally in love with his little sister and is extemely sweet natured with her. The other day I watched him hand her a toy (her toy not his) while she was in the swing and heard him say "Here you go sweetheart." It was so sweet. The only real adjustment issue we are having (if you can even call it that) is that he asks to sleep in our room or in our bed on occasion.  He clearly is feeling a little left out since Meghan is sleeping in our room, but we have been able to redirect him explaining that everyone sleeps in the bed that fits them best and remind him that Meghan will be sleeping in his room with him soon enough.  This morning when we were discussing that Grandma Jo was going home today he asked her if she was taking the baby home with her. She of course said no that the baby was ours, and he moved on. I didn't get the impression that he wanted her to take the baby, just that he wasn't exactly sure what the story was.
Smitten

Just watching her.

As far as Meghan goes, she has been a very easy going baby so far. She is just starting so show some discomfort when she is trying to get a burp out or prior to a large bowel movement, and the last two nights has not slept as well as she had been (she put around 5 hrs together for about 5 or 6 nights) but even with the gas disruptions she hasn't done that poorly. I haven't tried gas treatments (mylicon or gripe water) because it has mainly been overnight that she really has problems and I don't want to giver her something like that for the first time when I can't monitor her for an allergic reaction. I imagine we are coming to the end of her 'honeymoon' phase but honestly I will say it again, so far so good.  This child even wakes up happy on occasion and I don't even realize she is awake unless I come look at her to find her eyes open. As I type this she is just passing hour 2 of a nap and get this...she isn't even swaddled!! That was absolutely unheard of for Colin. In fact I would guess that he didn't pull off a trick like that until he was well over a year old. I never really thought of Colin as a very challenging baby because I was able to soothe him when he got upset (however Sean and I were really the only ones who could, my poor mother is still traumatized by her inability to comfort him while Sean and I were across the street at a Christmas Eve party). However, the comparison between him and Meghan is like night and day so far. Now at least part of that is because we know what we are doing this time around, but part of it is just their different temperaments.  I actually looked up how long infants should sleep because I was convinced she was sleeping too much. Turns out they should sleep 14-18 hrs a day and she is on the low end of that usually sleeping 14 or 15 hrs. Colin averaged 11 hrs a day (and this isn't just my memory, I looked it up in the baby notebook that I kept, and yes Meghan as 'a book' too..I'm not that relaxed the second time around that I could forgo 'the book', although it could just be my love of data that keeps me logging her every minute).

Snuggling with Daddy.

Other differences between the kids are that Colin was put on a feeding 'schedule' pretty early on (for a variety of reasons) and I didn't allow him to nurse more frequently than every 2 hrs during the day, and he would eat for 40 minutes straight (actually he would have gone longer if I let him), I didn't understand the concept of  'cluster feeding' until he was older.  Meghan has been allowed to cluster feed at her whim and has truly been fed 'on demand' (I thought I was feeding Colin on demand but only if he didn't demand to be fed within two hrs of the start of the last feeding). She is a much more efficient eater and will often only want to eat for 10 minutes before moving on and she often goes more than two hrs between feedings because she is asleep (like now).  So it is possible that part of the reason Colin didn't sleep that long was because I didn't cluster feed him in the evenings particularly when the milk supply is lower.

Colin asks to hold her all the time. I love it.
 
Her first trip to the playground.
Sleeping.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I love her and can't wait to meet her on Sunday! xo!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

so glad that the transition has been going some smoothly and I am confident that when you are "alone" it will go well. Colin is confident that he is loved and wanted as part of the family and would never feel that he is being replaced by a new baby because you and Sean are AWESOME about how you interact with him.

She is such a peach---I hope to meet her. I am glad she is a longer sleeper since you wouldn't have time to nap.

Crystal said...

Great pictures! I'm glad to hear she's doing well so far and Colin is adjusting well. I'm so happy for you guys. :)

Julie said...

awwww, she is so sweet. i am glad that colin is doing so well with the new addition to the family. i am concerned about annabelle's reaction because when jen was born, i packed my rainbow bright suitcase and "ran away". (i made it to the neighbor's driveway)

Kristeen said...

I love the "smitten" picture. That's going to mean so much to both of them one day when they're older.