Saturday, October 29, 2011

Perfecting my Pizza Dough

I am taking a quick side trip from posts with pictures of the kids (sorry mom) to share my current food obsession. Making the perfect pizza dough at home! After having some delicious homemade pizza at my Aunt Sue's house (thank you Heather for the inspiration), I wanted to have a make your own pizza night at our house, figuring Colin would get a kick out of it. Turns out our grocery delivery service doesn't carry pizza dough. So I went hunting for a recipe. I made it and it was pretty good, but I knew it could be better so I've been tweaking it ever since and I think I have it just right, although I have some more ideas for further tweaking later. Here is my recipe:

1pkg (.25 oz) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees, or as hot as your tap goes)

2.5 cups bread flour
2 T olive oil
1.5 t salt
2 t white sugar
2 t oregano (I love oregano! This addition and the next are optional, use what you like)

.5t garlic powder



mix yeast and water, set aside for ten minutes.
mix together remaining ingredients then add yeast mixture. Mix until well combined. Cover and let sit for at least an hour (longer is fine too)

Roll out to the desired shape (mine isn't always a circle), place on a baking sheet (I spray with oil and then sprinkle corn meal and it always slides right off) and cover with your favorite toppings. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. (To feed the three of us I only have to use half the dough)

OK one picture for my mom.
I'm going to experiment with whole wheat flour but haven't wanted to change too many things at once. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I've been really enjoying Ragu's Pizza Sauce but will likely experiment with my own sauce at some point.
 
Oh and I should note this freezes really well before cooking and can be thawed overnight in the fridge. I was sure it would never thaw in time after removing the block of dough from the freezer the night before but it did, no problem. I like to divide the recipe in half and freeze half for later or make cheesey breadsticks (although I have yet to make one that doesn't explode and ooze out the cheese)

3 comments:

Amy Lou said...

I can't wait to try your recipe. I think Sammie will love making her own pizza. I love the satisfied pic of Colin and his pizza. :)

Crystal said...

This sounds (and looks) great! If I can manage to cook again I will definitely try it :) I love Hunts Four Cheese or Garlic & Herb sauce.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I will definitely try this. We like to make pizzas, especially on Fridays b/c in my mind Friday is a non-cooking night. I love that I can make it ahead and freeze a bunch of dough. We have grilled our pizzas on the outside grill this summer-they are DELICIOUS that way too (I was inspired by watching Bobby Flay)