Thursday, April 5, 2012

Favorite Things for Making Baby Food

I really enjoy making baby food for the kids. Babies are so easy to feed and so eager to eat that it is very rewarding to watch them enjoy food I've made. I used jars more often with Colin than I did with Meghan, which is likely because of the baby food swap I've had the good fortune to participate in (another swap tonight!) Here are a few of my favorite things for making baby food.

Mumi&Bubi Freezer Storage Trays: This are the best trays I've found. I do like the Fresh Baby trays too, but I make so many big batches these days that these work better for me. Plus they are much easier to remove cubes from and clean. I also find the shape of the cube very appealing.







Hamilton Beach 10 Cup Food Processor.Got to have a good BPA free food processor! Sean's Aunt and Uncle sent the kids a gift card for Christmas and I was able to purchase this for "Meghan". I used the glass blender for Colin since my food processor wasn't BPA free and it just wasn't an ideal solution. This processor is the perfect size, big enough to make big batches but not so big I can't make a small batch in it.




Good Spatulas: You don't have to have these particular spatulas but you nee some good spatulas in a couple sizes. The small ones help scoop food back into one cube if you accidentally over fill and have a few half filled cubes. The larger ones are good to smooth over the top of the tray and push the food back into the processor. These spatulas are also high heat which is not necessary for making baby food, but I use them all the time while cooking in my pans so I don't scratch the coating. My mom was asking about them recently so I figured I would kill two birds..

Steamer Pot: I don't have any idea how we ended up with this set of pots (actually if you remember I killed the base of this pot but luckily it fits on other pot we own). I really like this to steam large batches! My mom has one of those steamer baskets and I find it very awkward to use.





Libbey Small Bowls with Lids: I bought a different set of bowls first and they were just too small. These bowls are PERFECT. I love them! They are glass so I can use them in the microwave, and send the food to the babysitter and not worry about how she warms it.  They hold three cubes while the cubes are still frozen, or 6oz of thawed food. I also found out through trial and error that they fit into a typical 12oz hot cup so you can warm them on the go in a hot water bath and it won't float around and risk splashing boiling water on baby. Lids fit securely but I have one minor leaking incident when I didn't put it on quite right.

Blender Baby Food. I think I probably have about five (or eight) baby/toddler food cookbooks, and this is my favorite one for new ideas for baby 'meals' (pear, apricot, tofu anyone?). I just noticed it has a second edition now and I seriously have to exhibit some self control not to buy it, I'm sure it is largely the same but I would love to page through it. Another great resource is www.wholesomebabyfood.com. That is usually the first place I go when I'm not quite sure how to cook something.

That's all! Enjoy.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Thanks for the tips! Do you know of anyone that has or uses the baby bullet? I got one as a shower gift and can't decide if I should open it or not when the time comes.

Becky said...

I have the traditional Magic Bullet, which I really like for making smoothies but can't see using it for baby food. 1) it isn't bpa free (although I think the baby bullet is!) and 2) it would be a pain since you would have to shut it down, and open it up so many times to add more water or check consistency, with the processor you just pour the water in while it is on and can watch the consistency change. Since you have it, it doesn't hurt to try it, but after reading a few reviews I don't think the quality is top notch.

Crystal said...

I'm going to give it a go when the time comes and see what happens. I have a great food processor (got it as a bridal shower gift) but I'm not sure if it's BPA free.