Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Favorite Sunscreens

Since I've been using less chemically sunscreens I have tried out a bunch of different types to figure out what I like. I now take the 'arsenal' approach to sunscreen, having a variety of kinds that I use in different situations. I always get my information from this sunscreen cheat sheet, when I want to try a new brand. These are the sunscreens I have in my arsenal this year.

Eco Logical All Natural Sunscreen for Baby SPF30+ This is my go to every day sunscreen. It goes on easy and doesn't leave us with that white glow so typical of natural sunscreens. It doesn't have a strong scent either which is good. The only thing I don't like is that there is more packaging than product, so a brand new tube feels empty when you get it. Annoying but not a deal breaker.


All Terrain KidSport SPF30 Natural Sunscreen Spray Yep! A natural sunscreen SPRAY. Sometimes getting Colin to hold still long enough for a lotion application isn't possible. This goes on quickly and is perfect for reapplication.

Badger Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+ Certified Natural This is a great sunscreen, it goes on smooth, it covers well and its really waterproof. The downside, it leaves you looking like casper.. I save this for beach days.



SPF 30 Clear Zinc Sports Stick 0.60 Ounces. This one is my emergency sunscreen. I keep it in the diaper bag just in case I find us unexpectedly in the sun without any of the above sun screens. It is also great for Meghan's face since she is so wiggly I am afraid to get it in her eyes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh super post! I used Cal Babies but felt it went on like paste and never rubbed in. We have used episencials which I like. I didn't find it made him white and rubbed in well but went with your recommendation of eco logical. It should be here in a few days. I will though check out the rest since I know the tube won't last the summer.-Elaine

Kristeen said...

I need to pick up that spray sunscreen. We have a Kiss My Face version (that, actually, I bought on our girls weekend last summer...) but on EWG's website it's rated like a 7. It smells delicious, though, I'll be sad to see it go. Carter pretty much requires a spray, he isn't patient enough for lotion at this point. Thanks! I love your favorite things posts.

Becky said...

I used to really like episencials but Colin got burnt once while wearing it (despite not being in the sun that much and reapplying) so I don't trust it. Plus his neck used to get really irritated by it.
I have also used the cal baby stick. I always felt like it came off in chunks. THis one I think comes off in a more consistent film but you have to apply it with a firm hand. Meghan doesn't mind, but Colin complains about it.

Anonymous said...

Becky-I agree about the stick one. And I was bummed beecause Nolan got ahold of it in his daycare bag and turned it up and then it was stuck in the top of the tube, like lipstick which meant it was now broken. At the cost of it, I was super bummed. Thankfully it was from last summer so it wasn't brand new.

He enjoys "bock" as he calls it because they must do some sort of sunblock line at daycare before going out because he will wait for me to do it but I may get a spray one because we all know toddlers seem to change on the drop of a dime.

Also good to know about your experience getting burnt (not happy it happened) but we haven't bee outside that long at a time because I fear he will get burnt even with it on so perhaps we will try something else. -Elaine

Wynne said...

Cool, I just bought the Badger sunscreen last week! I also bought a pot of their bug repellent stuff, because I get eaten alive even with 100% DEET on and I fear bugs will love Eli too.
When I looked up the spray sunscreen, I saw the the EWG gave it a 3 ... what's your general threshold for kid stuff? 3 or less? I am new at this stuff ...

srezsnyak said...

You should note that even though spray-screens are convenient, the FDA hasn't done any studies on the effects of inhalation of spray sunscreens and as a precautionary measure discourages the use of them on small children, especially about the head and neck.

Becky said...

Jen- Yes, obviously I would love everything to be a 0 but my limit for the kids is 3, but the adults is 6... I also try to see what it is that is giving it the high score.
Stephanie- You make a good point about the spray, it wasn't something I had heard about. I would be more concerned about the ones that have a continuous spray, this one is very wet so it would be very difficult to inhale without spraying it directly into the kids noses. That said, I don't use it on their face because I can't keep it out of their eyes and I rarely use it for Meghan (if ever...)If I have to cover his face I spray it in my own hand first. The liquid nature of it just makes it easier to cover quickly.