Friday, May 25, 2012

Rebecca J Berry Ph.D.

My turn! Yesterday was my commencement ceremony. I defended on June 30th, 2011, deposited the final version of my thesis on Aug 17th, 2011 and my degree was conferred in September. But since there is only one commencement ceremony per year I didn't "walk" until yesterday.   We started the celebrations with a lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in Astoria. My ceremony started two hours later than Sean's did and we didn't arrive home until 9pm that night so Sean and I decided dinner afterwards would be way too late for the kids and for our out of town travelers.
Here are some pictures of our day.

Alright, whose idea was it to sit these three together?!?  (I should note, that I didn't take any of these photos, nor did my husband despite packing the camera, my mom took most of them and my sister took the rest)
Silliness ensues! What fun these boys will have with their grandpa in the years to come. So cute!


Meghan was a trooper all day. The poor thing is sick and teething but she held it together.  We unfortunately had a rather soggy day, raining on and off, mostly on while we were outside, yet mostly off while we were inside.
Cousins on the subway!
The ceremony was 2 hours long but the kids were really good. There were over 400 graduates and we all got "hooded", plus a couple speakers and honorary degrees. It wasn't exactly kid friendly, despite the fact that the audience was at least 25% children.

I was able to secure enough tickets for Sean's mom to come too. She is next to my mom in this photo, which is unfortunately the most she is visible in any photos from the night!  We were very happy to have her with us despite the lack of photographic evidence!

If you look closely you can see me both on stage and on the jumbo tron. This is right after I've been hooded and called "professor" for the first time (when it was actually true) by the man doing the hooding.
This picture and the next have been edited from their original version so they might look grainy.
This is me shaking hands with the president of the university.
And a hug from the program head of Psychology. I can't say that I knew her well but I guess she is a hugger and I'm cool with that.
After being reunited with the fam. It was too rainy for outdoor photos so we just took a few inside. Meghan was afraid of me until I took the hat off.  I have to say I have a couple of good kids. I was fully prepared for a major meltdown from at least one of them if not both after doing this rigamaroll for the second time, but they were good! (And I can tell you there were many kids who were not, I could hear them!)



My parents. The people who gave me wings and taught me to fly...I will be forever grateful for the strong foundation, their love and unending support. There were many times I'm sure that they had no idea what I was doing or why but they always encouraged me to do it anyway.  To follow my star wherever it lead.





My sisty. Though she probably doesn't realize it, and certainly didn't do it intentionally, my sister is probably a large part of why I am so competitive. Maybe it is just a trait of the younger sister, but in those early years everything she did I wanted to do too and I wanted to do it better (although I didn't always accomplish that I'm pretty sure she was better at soccer and softball). My competitors changed over the years but that drive to do better has always stuck.


My husband. We are one hell of a team! From the silly things like cleaning a vacation rental to the impossible task of completing both our doctoral dissertations all while tending to our two great kids.We move like cogs in a wheel, fitting seamlessly, being both supportive and supported at once. Thank you for always being there to pull me back from the edge and still push me to be better every day. My parents gave me my base, my sister helped me find the bar and you held my hand as we jumped over it. I love you, I'm proud of you and I'm thankful for you.


7 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

So what is next for Dr. and Dr. Berry?????

Julie said...

you just made me cry! damn pregnancy hormones!

Crystal said...

beautiful post, so proud of you! xo

Nancy said...

I do NOT have pregnancy hormones....and I am crying! This is a beautiful post becky.

Wynne said...

I agree -- not pregnant and still crying!

Congrats to the Drs Berry! We must celebrate again soon!

Grandma Mo said...

A great accomplishment Becky! I am very proud of you. It was great to be there with you guys! And, you did it all while at the same time being a wonderful wife and mommy!

Kristy said...

So proud of you both!

My hair that day on the other hand... I am not proud of. Proof of the "soggy" weather.