Monday, May 14, 2012

Sean L. Berry Ph.D

On Sunday we celebrated Sean's Ph.D. Convocation ( the official commencement is on Wednesday but they don't read everyone's name at that ceremony so we are skipping it).  It was a beautiful day and the kids were really on their best behavior, making everything that much more enjoyable. Here are some pictures of our day.


 Sean all dressed up before the ceremony. He wears the suit well if you ask me.
 A shot of us. It has been a long 10 years between finishing our bachelors and now. I could not have done any of it without this man beside me. He completed this degree while working full time and in the later years being a very involved father. Sean is without a doubt the hardest working person I know. I could not be more proud of him!
 The funny hat brigade.
 The set up was quite odd, there were three different tents, one with the stage and graduates and two more flanking. Between the tents were large shrubs, making it very awkward and hard to see much. However, I guess I should appreciate the tents since it was very sunny and the kids would have been miserable.
 "Applied Physics, Sean Lawrence Berry"
 Sean on the big screen in our tent.
 Sean was called maybe 15 people in so then we had to sit and wait for the other 100 or so graduates to be called.. Here are a few shots of the kids hanging out.
 I thought Colin would be tricky but I just kept feeding him snacks and he was happy to sit and people watch.
 After the ceremony we took some pictures with the family.
 Grandma Mo and Meggie Sue
The Berry's (minus Chris and Oana, Chris got sent to Alabama for two weeks so he couldn't make the ceremony)
 The Drs Berry and their progeny.
I think Sean looks so much like his mom in this picture!! I always knew he favored her but this picture really demonstrates it.
 Colin got in on the photo taking action, so the next few pictures are taken by him. People get pretty silly when a 3 yr old is manning the camera.
 Aunt Katie and Aunt Nin strike a pose.










Silliness!
 My angelic husband and his baby sisters.
Colin of course ate NO dinner after eating probably 2000 calories in snacks at the ceremony. He did however have lots of room for sorbet. We went to Pasticci's on the upper west side and Meghan and I shared some creamy polenta and we both couldn't get enough.The ceremony started at 3, we had a dinner reservation at 6 and didn't get back home until 9. Both kids were wide awake all the way home, so it was a long night for them. It could have been disastrous but it wasn't.. All I wanted for Mothers day was for my kids to behave all day, but I didn't even want to wish for it because I figured it was totally unrealistic.

5 comments:

efalcone said...

Great Day, great pictures! I have such admiration for you both. You are an inspiration!

Grandma Mo said...

Wonderful pictures, wonderful sentiments, wonderful day!

Crystal said...

What great pics, please tell him I'm so proud and happy for him- amazing!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

congrats to all!!!!

Erin said...

What a nice post, Dr. Berry #1 (seeing you finished your degree first ... and because R comes before S in the alphabet). You and Sean make a great team!