Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Card (with out takes)

I'm pretty fond of this years card. I planed it out last year right after Christmas after seeing a similar idea for family portaits on the web. I was so sure this is what I was going to do that I bought the fake snow right after Christmas because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it early enough in the season to get the photos taken. Apparently I wasn't the only one who saw that idea because it was all over the different Christmas card vendor websites. Admittedly that was a big bummer but all the other cards used a forward facing blowing snow toward the camera design and I went with the photos where they were blowing at each other so at least it wasn't identical!  All in all I was thrilled with how they came out.

Front
Back

The kids had so much fun taking the pictures. If it weren't below freezing when we took them we probably could have gone on for quite some time.  Here are some of the more amusing outtakes from our photo shoot.
The first few pictures the only snow in the shot was from Colin. Meghans technique was less than effective at actually getting the snow to move.
Colin got the occasional piece in his mouth from breathing in too close to the pile.
 Soon Meg began bending from the waist and it became increasingly difficult to keep them both in the shot.
 What she lacked in technique she made up for in enthusiasm! Here shes moving so fast she is just a blur.
In hysterics!

Soon Grandma added in some extra snow to enhance the image. Unfortunately I caught her hand in a few of the shots, and the kids found this new addition very distracting.
 "Whatcha doing over there Grandma?"
 Again with the bending over!
Waiting for the countdown from Daddy.. I had no idea they would focus so much on him or I would have done the countdown myself!
 We did have a little trouble with the sun coming and going in different shots, leaving the kids very washed out when we had full sun and very pale as it went away. It made it more difficult to find photos of each kid alone for the back..no two pictures had the same shading.
Ready to reload! As you can see they were having a pretty good time! If only all photo sessions went over this well!
 Colin found the snow stuck in Meghan's hair quite amusing!
I found it adorable.
 This is her "I"ve got snow under my tongue" face. Finding clear plastic inside your child's mouth is not the easiest thing to do.. particularly when it is under their tongue

Colin reminding me that it was indeed colder than it looked.  Time to wrap this up!









Hope everyone had a Very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Abbe Macbeth said...

I loved your card! I'm totally going to do something similar next year. What a great idea! Maybe there are ways to do this with other items during the year too...hmmm, now my photographer's brain is churning... :) Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

I love your narration,, Grandma had to426ld me some great job Beck and family